New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE - Firewalls

This is a discussion on New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE - Firewalls ; That's right, there is a new competitor in subscription online broadcasting of sports, which is being talked about in sevreal figure skating discussion boards, including mine. This new subscription service, at abour $42 per year, at current exchange rates will ...

  1. New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    That's right, there is a new competitor in subscription
    online broadcasting of sports, which is being
    talked about in sevreal figure skating discussion
    boards, including mine.

    This new subscription service, at abour $42 per
    year, at current exchange rates will be a network
    admins WORST NIGHTMARE. This is
    becuase of the high amount of bandwidth
    used, at 992K, and encrypted, too.

    And one guy from China has put VERY
    detailed instructions on at least THREE
    figure skating boards, including mine, or
    how to get past ANY firewall to use it.
    So even the "secure" networks that Leythos
    touts, might be no match for this new service.

    Their servers are in Russia, and its a Russian
    service, and they broadcast worldwide at
    992K

  2. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > And one guy from China has put VERY
    > detailed instructions on at least THREE
    > figure skating boards, including mine, or
    > how to get past ANY firewall to use it.
    > So even the "secure" networks that Leythos
    > touts, might be no match for this new service.

    It doesn't work, it doesn't matter how you play the game, they can't get
    to the entry point from any of our networks - it's really that simple.

    Nothing they can put up can be reached from our networks, we only allow
    connections to business approved sites, not some filtered list that
    allows x category, but hard approved lists.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.218c985fc41d34e798970f@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> And one guy from China has put VERY
    >> detailed instructions on at least THREE
    >> figure skating boards, including mine, or
    >> how to get past ANY firewall to use it.
    >> So even the "secure" networks that Leythos
    >> touts, might be no match for this new service.

    > It doesn't work, it doesn't matter how you play the game, they can't get
    > to the entry point from any of our networks - it's really that simple.

    Well, as for the guy from China, who put up information on
    how to circumvent company networks, being that ALL THREE
    of these figure skating boards are based OUTSIDE the
    United States, the board admins of ALL THREE boards
    CANNOT BE PROSECUTED in the United States for
    allowing the posts the boards. Since the servers are in
    Canada, England, and Mexico, postings made to the
    boards are ONLY subject to the laws of the country the
    board is HOSTED in. All three boards, becuase they are
    OUTSIDE the United States are NOT SUBJECT to
    United States laws. Since this POSTER is coming from
    CHINA (based on the IP logs on MY board), and
    the three boards he posted on are on servers in England,
    Mexico,and Canada, his postings are ONLY subject to the
    laws of Mexico, China, England, and Canada, and are
    NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States laws.

  4. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > All three boards, becuase they are
    > OUTSIDE the United States are NOT SUBJECT to
    > United States laws.

    And I suppose you've never read about a person in another country that
    commits a crime across the internet being arrested in his home
    country...

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  5. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.218da08a1bee30f4989722@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> All three boards, becuase they are
    >> OUTSIDE the United States are NOT SUBJECT to
    >> United States laws.

    > And I suppose you've never read about a person in another country that
    > commits a crime across the internet being arrested in his home
    > country...

    There is a new program that is now advertising on one our
    competitors in the sports and/or talk show genre, and this
    program does not require anything to be installed. System
    Cleaner runs from a single .EXE file, nothing to install. Just
    insert the floppy or memory stick the program in on into
    your office PC, and erase all your tracks. You can use
    tihs on your office PC, and there will be no CLUE that
    any kind of disk wiping program was ever used. The
    program is apparently small enough to place on a floppy disk.

  6. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In message "Chilly8"
    wrote:

    >There is a new program that is now advertising on one our
    >competitors in the sports and/or talk show genre, and this
    >program does not require anything to be installed. System
    >Cleaner runs from a single .EXE file, nothing to install. Just
    >insert the floppy or memory stick the program in on into
    >your office PC, and erase all your tracks. You can use
    >tihs on your office PC, and there will be no CLUE that
    >any kind of disk wiping program was ever used. The
    >program is apparently small enough to place on a floppy disk.

    *sigh*

    You're more then welcome to try that, but in a network environment built
    for security, a number of things will get in your way.

    1) Floppies are not available.

    2) USB sticks will not install (nor will any other unauthorized device
    install)

    3) Unknown exes won't run.

    4) You'll be fired for testing policy #3.

    5) Packets address to, or received from unknown servers are simply
    discarded.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  7. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    > In message "Chilly8"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>There is a new program that is now advertising on one our
    >>competitors in the sports and/or talk show genre, and this
    >>program does not require anything to be installed. System
    >>Cleaner runs from a single .EXE file, nothing to install. Just
    >>insert the floppy or memory stick the program in on into
    >>your office PC, and erase all your tracks. You can use
    >>tihs on your office PC, and there will be no CLUE that
    >>any kind of disk wiping program was ever used. The
    >>program is apparently small enough to place on a floppy disk.

    > *sigh*
    >

    > 5) Packets address to, or received from unknown servers are simply
    > discarded.

    Well, I am suddenly seeing a dramatic increase in traffic from
    a major financial services firm in New York. I had 13
    connections from their network, at about 11:30 AM
    Eastern Time. The music programme I run, when not
    doing like talk or sports programming, has apparently
    made me a popular at-work station at the major
    financial services firm.

    Also, some workers are figuring out to get Live 365
    to work through phpProxy installations. If you use
    http://www.live365.com/stations/stationname?play,
    where "stationname" is the screen name of the
    broadcaster, most phpProxy installations will not
    allow the connection becuase the cookies it tries
    to send to your machine are blocked. But if you
    use a traffic analysis tool, and find the IP and
    port for a direct connection to the stream, that
    will go through phpProxy without a problem, so
    a lot of people are obviously listening to me, and
    other Live 365 stations, via phpProxy installations,
    using this method. In short, someone who knows
    how to get the direct connect IP and port can
    listen to any Live 365 broadcast, from the office,
    through any phpProxy site, and all the network
    admins will see is a bunch of jibberish in the record
    of what URLs were accessed. phpProxy obfuscates
    the URL, so the precise location of where you went
    cannot be determined by your network admins.

  8. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.218da08a1bee30f4989722@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> All three boards, becuase they are
    > >> OUTSIDE the United States are NOT SUBJECT to
    > >> United States laws.

    > > And I suppose you've never read about a person in another country that
    > > commits a crime across the internet being arrested in his home
    > > country...

    > There is a new program that is now advertising on one our
    > competitors in the sports and/or talk show genre, and this
    > program does not require anything to be installed. System
    > Cleaner runs from a single .EXE file, nothing to install. Just
    > insert the floppy or memory stick the program in on into
    > your office PC, and erase all your tracks. You can use
    > tihs on your office PC, and there will be no CLUE that
    > any kind of disk wiping program was ever used. The
    > program is apparently small enough to place on a floppy disk.

    Unless it formats the drive it won't work on most of our systems or
    laptops.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  9. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > all the network
    > admins will see is a bunch of jibberish in the record
    > of what URLs were accessed. phpProxy obfuscates
    > the URL, so the precise location of where you went
    > cannot be determined by your network admins.

    They don't need to see the data, only where the connection is too, and
    that's enough to tell that you're not doing something accepted by
    company policy.

    So, again, on a properly secured network it would not work no matter how
    many proxy sites you have, and one less secure networks it would stand
    out like a sore thumb.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  10. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.219190b8d23c31ab98976b@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> all the network
    >> admins will see is a bunch of jibberish in the record
    >> of what URLs were accessed. phpProxy obfuscates
    >> the URL, so the precise location of where you went
    >> cannot be determined by your network admins.

    > They don't need to see the data, only where the connection is too, and
    > that's enough to tell that you're not doing something accepted by
    > company policy.
    >
    > So, again, on a properly secured network it would not work no matter how
    > many proxy sites you have, and one less secure networks it would stand
    > out like a sore thumb.

    Well, there are literally thousands of such public php-based proxy
    sites on the Net. That is why 8e6 is developing its appliance to keep
    up with the rising tide of these proxies. This appliance, running
    anywhere from $2,500 all the way up to $15,000, depending on
    how many users you intend to licence it for, is the ONLY firewall
    of its kind, and is the ONLY appliance ever MADE that can stem
    the rising tide of phpProxy sites on the net. There are SO many of
    them, that companies that do NOT use the rather pricey firewall
    appliance will be forever playing "whack a mole", as more and
    more web-based proxies come on line. Sure, you can block
    them when you find out about them, but without this expensive
    appliance, the phpProxy operators will have the upper hand.

    I got a sudden surge in traffic from several phoProxy sites around
    10AM Easern time this morning, and it is still going strong.
    Being that its the workday back home in Australia, I would
    bet that a lot of workplaces in Australia are tuned in. When
    the come through a phpProxy site, my web-access records
    and the Live 365 geostats will only show the address of the
    proxy. My morning show, aimed at Australian listeners,
    Wake Up Australia!! often gets a few hits from workplaces
    in Australia. I do think that people are finally figuring how to
    access Live 365 stations through phpProxy installations
    and be able to listen from work.

    One problem with phpProxy is that if my station reaches the
    limit of free listeners, which it did several times today, then
    they cannot get on. If you have to log in as a VIP listener,
    than phpProxy will not work, as most phpProxy
    installations will block the cookies that need to be sent
    in order to log on to Live 365 with your username and
    password. The package I use allows a limit of 50 free
    listeners. Between the listeners coming from this one
    financial firm, which does not block Live 365 VIP
    listening, there were 10 free listeners and 3 VIP
    listeners around 11:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    coming from the network of this major financial services
    firm.

    I was hitting the maxium free listner limit several times
    between 11AM and 3PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    and I usually only hit that when I am doing talk or
    sports programming. So my music programme is
    apparently becoming a hit in a number of workplaces
    all over the world.

  11. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > There are SO many of
    > them, that companies that do NOT use the rather pricey firewall
    > appliance will be forever playing "whack a mole"

    Actually, it's easy to defeat with a CHEAP firewall appliance, and even
    many SOHO solutions can defeat your proxy crap.

    Fact is, as smaller I.T. admins learn how easy it is, and as larger
    companies learn how much productivity is lost, you're show won't be
    listened to anywhere except third world countries that don't increase
    your ratings.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  12. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.2191a152a9b3f282989775@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> There are SO many of
    >> them, that companies that do NOT use the rather pricey firewall
    >> appliance will be forever playing "whack a mole"

    > Actually, it's easy to defeat with a CHEAP firewall appliance, and even
    > many SOHO solutions can defeat your proxy crap.
    >
    > Fact is, as smaller I.T. admins learn how easy it is, and as larger
    > companies learn how much productivity is lost, you're show won't be
    > listened to anywhere except third world countries that don't increase
    > your ratings.

    I dont think that will be much of a concern for my target audience
    back homeom Australia. While I do pick up lot of American
    listeners, our target audience, at least with our sports programming
    I run, is back home in Australia. I don't think much will change
    in Australian workplaces in the near future as far as filtering
    practices go. With one proposal in Australia to mandate
    ISP-level filtering, if the customer desires it, I think that Australian
    workplaces will rely on the ISP's filter to block what they dont
    want seen, instead of their own firewalls. So I am really not that
    worried right now about our target audience back home in
    Australia not being able to tune in, becuase I don't expect
    that much to change in Australian workplaces.

    There is also the fact that Australian law does not prohibit
    using a public proxy, such as a phpProxy site, to get around
    corporate filtering. As long as you do not break someone's
    password, it is legal in Australia.

    With the ISU wanting to charge exobitant fees to TV broadcasters
    (but apparently not radio) to broadcast figure skating events,
    we are just about the only outlet on the Net for live skating,
    and the large number of corporate networks connected
    during our Friday broadcast of Skate America, seem to reflect
    that. I just wonder what is going to happen this Friday when
    we broadcast the next event, from Havana, which starts much
    earlier in the American workday, as compared to last week.

  13. Re: New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > There is also the fact that Australian law does not prohibit
    > using a public proxy, such as a phpProxy site, to get around
    > corporate filtering. As long as you do not break someone's
    > password, it is legal in Australia.

    And yet, assisting in a crime is still a crime in Oz, and you give
    methods to break laws and work contracts - so you can be liable.