2 networks must be made one - question - Firewalls

This is a discussion on 2 networks must be made one - question - Firewalls ; Hi, I was hired for a company as a web developer and sort of IT support. I was aksed to join 2 existing networks, One network contains 25 pcs printers, a windows server that has fininacial software. The other network ...

  1. 2 networks must be made one - question

    Hi,
    I was hired for a company as a web developer and sort of IT support.
    I was aksed to join 2 existing networks,
    One network contains 25 pcs printers, a windows server that has
    fininacial software.

    The other network contains some laptops and editors' pcs that need to
    have access to the internet, so it is connected straight to a linksys
    modem-router.

    I found the existence of the server useless apart for the financial
    software it runs that is supposed to be accesible only from one
    computer.Currently this server is a dhcp server too for the first
    network.

    I would like a solution that joins the 2 networks, (I will disable the
    dhcp server on the server machine). I am looking for a device,
    preferably linksys or maybe netgear,that will be able to handle all
    traffic, dhcp service, and limit access to the internet for pcs i do
    not want. (a complete cut off the internet). do you have any
    suggestions?

  2. Re: 2 networks must be made one - question

    "d3scr1pt0r" wrote in message
    news:1193291188.678361.295300@k35g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I was hired for a company as a web developer and sort of IT support.
    > I was aksed to join 2 existing networks,
    > One network contains 25 pcs printers, a windows server that has
    > fininacial software.
    >
    > The other network contains some laptops and editors' pcs that need to
    > have access to the internet, so it is connected straight to a linksys
    > modem-router.
    >
    > I found the existence of the server useless apart for the financial
    > software it runs that is supposed to be accesible only from one
    > computer.Currently this server is a dhcp server too for the first
    > network.
    >
    > I would like a solution that joins the 2 networks, (I will disable the
    > dhcp server on the server machine). I am looking for a device,
    > preferably linksys or maybe netgear,that will be able to handle all
    > traffic, dhcp service, and limit access to the internet for pcs i do
    > not want. (a complete cut off the internet). do you have any
    > suggestions?

    You need to step up in class with a FW appliance, Watchguard, Cisco,
    Sonicwall, Snapgear that kind of hardware solution.

    You should first understand FW technology before you seek out a solution.

    http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/r...irewalls1.html
    http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

    I am a Web and client server developer too.

+ Reply to Thread