eTrust ez firewall and downloading media - Firewalls

This is a discussion on eTrust ez firewall and downloading media - Firewalls ; Hi Folks, I'm using eTrust's ez firewall (free from Road Runner) and been having a constant problem: when I download large media files (.pdf .mp3 .mov) the first meg will be downloaded and then the download will stall (nothing hangs ...

  1. eTrust ez firewall and downloading media

    Hi Folks,

    I'm using eTrust's ez firewall (free from Road Runner) and been having
    a constant problem: when I download large media files
    (.pdf .mp3 .mov) the first meg will be downloaded and then the
    download will stall (nothing hangs up). When I turn the firewall off
    everything downloads normally.

    I've tried resetting the security levels on the firewall but didn't
    work.

    Any suggestions or work arounds?

    Thanks.

    Best wishes,

    Bill

  2. Re: eTrust ez firewall and downloading media

    Bill wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I'm using eTrust's ez firewall (free from Road Runner) and been having
    > a constant problem: when I download large media files
    > (.pdf .mp3 .mov) the first meg will be downloaded and then the
    > download will stall (nothing hangs up). When I turn the firewall off
    > everything downloads normally.
    >
    > I've tried resetting the security levels on the firewall but didn't
    > work.
    >
    > Any suggestions or work arounds?

    I fail to see the problem. The mentioned software works as expected and
    designed. If you don't want your downloads to stall, then don't install any
    software that is supposed to stall your downloads.

  3. Re: eTrust ez firewall and downloading media

    "Sebastian G." wrote in

    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I'm using eTrust's ez firewall (free from Road Runner) and been
    >> having a constant problem: when I download large media files
    >> (.pdf .mp3 .mov) the first meg will be downloaded and then the
    >> download will stall (nothing hangs up). When I turn the firewall off
    >> everything downloads normally.
    >>
    >> I've tried resetting the security levels on the firewall but didn't
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions or work arounds?

    > I fail to see the problem. The mentioned software works as expected
    > and designed. If you don't want your downloads to stall, then don't
    > install any software that is supposed to stall your downloads.

    Yes Bill, welcome to the alway-helpful Sebastian G. and his sterling
    advice. Don't you see? eTrust's product is meant to allow the downloading
    of a portion, and ONLY a portion of any given file over a given size. Odd,
    but as Sebastian says, that is they way they designed it.

    I recommend getting in touch with eTrust support and asking them about that
    peculiar design characteristic.

    In all seriousness though, ditch the software firewall and get a decent
    hardware product. They're cheap, as well as being much more secure and less
    hassle to manage.

    Anchovie

    --
    "-When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

+ Reply to Thread