Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)? Current choices ... - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)? Current choices ... - Firewalls ; We are researching replacing our existing (and frequently locking up) Symantec Gateway 460 gateway (was a $650 device). Currently it has the firewall and vpn built in (ipsec). This unit requires that end users use proprietary vpn software, rather than ...

  1. Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)? Current choices ...

    We are researching replacing our existing (and frequently locking up)
    Symantec Gateway 460 gateway (was a $650 device). Currently it has
    the firewall and vpn built in (ipsec). This unit requires that end
    users use proprietary vpn software, rather than just creating a
    windows vpn connection.. this software doesnt work in x64 Vista (or
    Vista period). We also have installed pptp vpn on a backend server
    and use this as an alternate for now.

    We have a 15 mbit Comcast cable connection (1mbit upload) and a 3mbit
    verizon connection (1mbit upload max).. We have about 10 users at the
    moment (out of 42) who use VPN, usually only about 3-4 at a time
    though.

    I'd really like an all in one solution that was VPN SSL capable (i'm
    assuming this means the end user wouldnt need proprietary software,
    just an SSL certificate and a connection in most cases?).. but it
    seems most are breaking the two apart these days?

    Here are my current choices.. any thoughts on these or perhaps others
    out there i haven't thought of? (perhaps cheaper ones that are just as
    good)? We need to have dual wan ability in either case though..

    Gateways:

    Sonicwall Pro 2040 Internet Security Appliance: (dual wan able) 01-
    SSC-5700 $1339.88 (24x7 support option 01-SSC-5707 = $350.97)
    **No SSL vpn ability need separate unit, see below (has standard 10
    license, ipsec vpn ability); 200mbps on firewall and 50mps on vpn

    Juniper SSG-140-SH $2569
    ** 350mbps on firewall; 100 mbps on vpn

    Secondary vpn device:
    SonicWall SSL-VPN 2000 01-SSC-5952 $1691 (unlimited users)
    *Nice interface via the web, does require a small app installed via
    the web to directly connect though.

    Any thoughts?

  2. Re: Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)?Current choices ...

    markm75 wrote:

    > Gateways:
    >
    > Sonicwall Pro 2040 Internet Security Appliance: (dual wan able) 01-
    > SSC-5700 $1339.88 (24x7 support option 01-SSC-5707 = $350.97)

    check the specs for the 2040, besides the builtin switch it doesn't have much more
    performance than a TZ180/190 - which is a big enough firewall for 42 users, - of course depending on traffic and which
    security services (AV, IPS, Anti Spyware) you are planning to run on it.

    if you have the budget and want to plan ahead, go for the 3060.

    > **No SSL vpn ability need separate unit, see below (has standard 10
    > license, ipsec vpn ability); 200mbps on firewall and 50mps on vpn
    >
    > Juniper SSG-140-SH $2569
    > ** 350mbps on firewall; 100 mbps on vpn
    >

    > Secondary vpn device:
    > SonicWall SSL-VPN 2000 01-SSC-5952 $1691 (unlimited users)

    in case you haven't seen this:
    http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/S...0_4000_FAQ.pdf

    I would recommend it for your size office.

  3. Re: Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)? Current choices ...

    On Oct 22, 4:11 am, mak wrote:
    > markm75 wrote:
    > > Gateways:

    > > Sonicwall Pro 2040 Internet Security Appliance: (dual wan able) 01-
    > > SSC-5700 $1339.88 (24x7 support option 01-SSC-5707 = $350.97)

    > check the specs for the 2040, besides the builtin switch it doesn't have much more
    > performance than a TZ180/190 - which is a big enough firewall for 42 users, - of course depending on traffic and which
    > security services (AV, IPS, Anti Spyware) you are planning to run on it.
    >
    > if you have the budget and want to plan ahead, go for the 3060.
    >
    > > **No SSL vpn ability need separate unit, see below (has standard 10
    > > license, ipsec vpn ability); 200mbps on firewall and 50mps on vpn

    > > Juniper SSG-140-SH $2569
    > > ** 350mbps on firewall; 100 mbps on vpn

    > > Secondary vpn device:
    > > SonicWall SSL-VPN 2000 01-SSC-5952 $1691 (unlimited users)

    > in case you haven't seen this:http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/S...0_4000_FAQ.pdf
    >
    > I would recommend it for your size office.

    So the 200 lacks the java RDP ability via the main web page? It also
    mentions client side certs arent included.. i'm not sure where that
    comes into play/works? IE: ive seen a demo of the 2000.. where you
    log into the web page and can do RDP, or shared drives etc.. or
    install the netclient locally.. are these not included in the 200
    version?

  4. Re: Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)? Current choices ...

    On Oct 18, 4:20 pm, markm75 wrote:

    > I'd really like an all in one solution that was VPN SSL capable (i'm
    > assuming this means the end user wouldnt need proprietary software,
    > just an SSL certificate and a connection in most cases?).. but it
    > seems most are breaking the two apart these days?

    Cisco ASA supports this in one box. (FW + ipsec vpn + ssl vpn + ids
    + ...)
    With the right license of course :-)

+ Reply to Thread