Leaving computers on after work? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Leaving computers on after work? - Firewalls ; X-No-Archive: Yes I thought virtually any employer around would require you to turn your work PC off at the end of the day. I find that some of the Tor relay nodes are on corporate networks, and some employees have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Leaving computers on after work?

    I thought virtually any employer around would require you to turn your
    work PC off at the end of the day. I find that some of the Tor relay
    nodes are on corporate networks, and some employees have Tor
    relay nodes running on them all weekend. I can find this by surfing
    my web site through Tor, and looking at the access log, and I see
    that there is one node on a corporate network in Germany that
    some employee is turning into a Tor relay node all weekend. I
    would think that any employer would not allow someone to leave
    their computer on after they leave work, but someone on a corporate
    network in Berlin is running a Tor relay node on their work PC,
    after they leave work for the day.

    There are two methods for creating Tor nodes. The first, is
    to create a relay node requiring the Tor software to use, then
    the other is to install the Tor software on a server, but configure it
    to work as a public Tor proxy, and anybody can access, Tor
    software not required, that routes their traffic ontothe Tor network.
    That is what I operate on my server. Anybody around the world
    can access Tor from Tor entry servers, like mine, without having
    to install the client software. Very handy on work or school PCs
    where the machine is locked down to prevent installation of any
    software. Just change your browser setting to any public Tor
    entry server, and you are good to go.

  2. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > Just change your browser setting to any public Tor
    > entry server, and you are good to go.

    And when the connection is found by the IT department in a network that
    is not properly secured - they will be disciplined for company policy
    violations. In the case of a properly secured company network your "just
    change your settings... " would not work, as they would not be permitted
    access to non-company approved websites.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.217d171165783832989aed@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> Just change your browser setting to any public Tor
    >> entry server, and you are good to go.

    > And when the connection is found by the IT department in a network that
    > is not properly secured - they will be disciplined for company policy
    > violations. In the case of a properly secured company network your "just
    > change your settings... " would not work, as they would not be permitted
    > access to non-company approved websites.

    Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    Europe.

    When doing sports and talk programming, there are other feeds I turn
    on, and between that, and the message boards, I am pulling about 9.6
    megabits transfer rate right now, and nearly allow it from corporate
    networks in Europe, and some users on corporate networks in the
    Eastern USA are conecting now, as the workday is just about to
    begin there. The number of people connecting from coroprate
    networks in Europe to various forms of our coverage right now,
    is staggering.

    As the workday begins for you there, someone could be tuned in
    to one of the various forms of our coverage, right now, and you
    might not spot it right away, if they are using the message forums.

  4. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.217d171165783832989aed@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    >> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>> Just change your browser setting to any public Tor
    >>> entry server, and you are good to go.

    >> And when the connection is found by the IT department in a network that
    >> is not properly secured - they will be disciplined for company policy
    >> violations. In the case of a properly secured company network your "just
    >> change your settings... " would not work, as they would not be permitted
    >> access to non-company approved websites.

    > Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    > this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    > Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    > about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    > Europe.
    >
    > When doing sports and talk programming, there are other feeds I turn
    > on, and between that, and the message boards, I am pulling about 9.6
    > megabits transfer rate right now, and nearly allow it from corporate
    > networks in Europe, and some users on corporate networks in the
    > Eastern USA are conecting now, as the workday is just about to
    > begin there. The number of people connecting from coroprate
    > networks in Europe to various forms of our coverage right now,
    > is staggering.
    >
    > As the workday begins for you there, someone could be tuned in
    > to one of the various forms of our coverage, right now, and you
    > might not spot it right away, if they are using the message forums.

    I have a bloke from England in one of my chat rooms dedicated to
    coverage who is using encrypted tunnel to his residential DSL
    line on these new 25 megabit lines they have in England, and the
    he is tunneling out from there to my server, and he this guy is
    even BOASTING in my chat room right now that the boss
    will NEVER catch him, and he may well be right, if he is
    using strong enough encryption.

  5. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    > this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    > Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    > about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    > Europe.

    Which proves my point - there are a lot of improperly secured networks,
    and that's the only reason you are able to make a dime off your
    unethical manner.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  6. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > I have a bloke from England in one of my chat rooms dedicated to
    > coverage who is using encrypted tunnel to his residential DSL
    > line on these new 25 megabit lines they have in England, and the
    > he is tunneling out from there to my server, and he this guy is
    > even BOASTING in my chat room right now that the boss
    > will NEVER catch him, and he may well be right, if he is
    > using strong enough encryption.

    Like you, there are a lot of DUMB people out there.

    If his employer has a firewall that can provide real-time monitoring,
    the tunnel is very easy to spot and will get the chap booted. Tunnels
    are the easiest things to see/detect.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  7. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    On Oct 15, 7:49 am, Leythos wrote:
    > In article , chil...@hotmail.com says...
    >
    > > Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    > > this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    > > Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    > > about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    > > Europe.

    And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what
    will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this
    week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis,
    and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and
    Sharapova are expected to take the court later on this week. And when
    the various P2P TV services also get into the picture, I think
    corporate network admins in Europe better stock up on their supply of
    headache pills, they are going to NEED them, it looks like. I can just
    imagine the strain on corporate networks all over Europe when these
    three young ladies take the court in Zurich later on this week.

    I saw enough hits on my public Tor entrance proxy, that it actually
    started spitting out all kinds of strange errors that I had to have my
    server reboot to solve the problem. My server is on a 100 meg pipe,
    but Windows starts to become unstable with a fraction of that load. A
    mere 183 people on my message board at once started to slow the server
    down. For machines running either vBulletin or phpBB BBS software,
    Windows starts to slow down when the user load gets up around 200.
    Figure Skating Universe, which uses vBulletin, starts to become very
    unstable at about 500 users and their server will actually crash when
    the user load gets up around 1,000 users. The trouble is that MySQL,
    which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is ONLY available for Windows
    machines. Also, Live 365, my primary stream connection, ONLY supports
    Windows machines, so I am stuck using Windoze on my server.

  8. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In article <1192463519.586090.101340@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > My server is on a 100 meg pipe,
    > but Windows starts to become unstable with a fraction of that load.

    So, besides supporting unethical behavior you don't know how to setup
    servers either.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  9. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    wrote in message
    news:1192463519.586090.101340@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...

    > On Oct 15, 7:49 am, Leythos wrote:
    >> In article , chil...@hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> > Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    >> > this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    >> > Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    >> > about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    >> > Europe.

    > And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what
    > will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this
    > week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis,
    > and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and

    And I was right. I have a 17.8 megabit load, nearly twice what I had
    yesterday, almost all of it coming from corporate networks all over
    Europe. And a 798K video feed we are offering as well, European
    corporate network admins will be wondering where all the bandwidth
    is going today.

    And for American admins, if you see a huge spike in bandwidth
    usage, that suddenly drops off about 2PM US Eastern time, that
    will have been people on your network watching our video feed of
    the WTA Zurich tennis tournament.

  10. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > wrote in message
    > news:1192463519.586090.101340@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>

    >> On Oct 15, 7:49 am, Leythos wrote:
    >>> In article , chil...@hotmail.com says...

    >> And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what
    >> will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this
    >> week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis,
    >> and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and

    > And I was right. I have a 17.8 megabit load, nearly twice what I had
    > yesterday, almost all of it coming from corporate networks all over
    > Europe. And a 798K video feed we are offering as well, European
    > corporate network admins will be wondering where all the bandwidth
    > is going today.
    >
    > And for American admins, if you see a huge spike in bandwidth
    > usage, that suddenly drops off about 2PM US Eastern time, that
    > will have been people on your network watching our video feed of
    > the WTA Zurich tennis tournament.

    And the strains on coporate networks could go even higher, There
    one match coming up with one of the top tennis players in Europe,
    so that might slow down a a lot of coroprate networks in Europe
    as people tune in to watch from work

  11. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> I have a bloke from England in one of my chat rooms dedicated to
    >> coverage who is using encrypted tunnel to his residential DSL
    >> line on these new 25 megabit lines they have in England, and the
    >> he is tunneling out from there to my server, and he this guy is
    >> even BOASTING in my chat room right now that the boss
    >> will NEVER catch him, and he may well be right, if he is
    >> using strong enough encryption.

    > Like you, there are a lot of DUMB people out there.
    >
    > If his employer has a firewall that can provide real-time monitoring,
    > the tunnel is very easy to spot and will get the chap booted. Tunnels
    > are the easiest things to see/detect.

    mmm can you give me some pointers on how to detect tunnels
    or encapsulated traffic (don't know if they are called tunnels as well)
    but with
    this i mean for instance icmp packets carrying application headers (eg:
    http)

  12. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    chilly8@hotmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 7:49 am, Leythos wrote:
    >> In article , chil...@hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >>> Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    >>> this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    >>> Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    >>> about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    >>> Europe.

    > And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what
    > will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this
    > week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis,
    > and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and
    > Sharapova are expected to take the court later on this week. And when
    > the various P2P TV services also get into the picture, I think
    > corporate network admins in Europe better stock up on their supply of
    > headache pills, they are going to NEED them, it looks like. I can just
    > imagine the strain on corporate networks all over Europe when these
    > three young ladies take the court in Zurich later on this week.

    wtf ... iirc WTA Zurich is not even a grand slam and in general
    the big guns only go to these things to prepare for the grand slams
    like wimbledon. And who the hell is Jenin if you mean henin than shame
    on you
    for mistyping the nr 1 female tennis player and co-belgian justin henin

    > I saw enough hits on my public Tor entrance proxy, that it actually
    > started spitting out all kinds of strange errors that I had to have my
    > server reboot to solve the problem. My server is on a 100 meg pipe,
    > but Windows starts to become unstable with a fraction of that load. A
    > mere 183 people on my message board at once started to slow the server
    > down. For machines running either vBulletin or phpBB BBS software,
    > Windows starts to slow down when the user load gets up around 200.
    > Figure Skating Universe, which uses vBulletin, starts to become very
    > unstable at about 500 users and their server will actually crash when
    > the user load gets up around 1,000 users. The trouble is that MySQL,
    > which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is ONLY available for Windows
    > machines. Also, Live 365, my primary stream connection, ONLY supports
    > Windows machines, so I am stuck using Windoze on my server.

  13. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    chilly8@hotmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 7:49 am, Leythos wrote:
    >> In article , chil...@hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >>> Well, I will say this. We are covering the WTA Zurich tennis tournamant
    >>> this week, and I am seeing connections from corporate networks all over
    >>> Europe. I have 136 on my message board right now, and I would say
    >>> about 90 percent of them are coming from corporate networks all over
    >>> Europe.

    > And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what
    > will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this
    > week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis,
    > and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and
    > Sharapova are expected to take the court later on this week. And when
    > the various P2P TV services also get into the picture, I think
    > corporate network admins in Europe better stock up on their supply of
    > headache pills, they are going to NEED them, it looks like. I can just
    > imagine the strain on corporate networks all over Europe when these
    > three young ladies take the court in Zurich later on this week.
    >
    > I saw enough hits on my public Tor entrance proxy, that it actually
    > started spitting out all kinds of strange errors that I had to have my
    > server reboot to solve the problem. My server is on a 100 meg pipe,
    > but Windows starts to become unstable with a fraction of that load. A
    > mere 183 people on my message board at once started to slow the server
    > down. For machines running either vBulletin or phpBB BBS software,
    > Windows starts to slow down when the user load gets up around 200.
    > Figure Skating Universe, which uses vBulletin, starts to become very
    > unstable at about 500 users and their server will actually crash when
    > the user load gets up around 1,000 users. The trouble is that MySQL,

    MySQL is a windows only program hahahahahahaa
    ****ing idiot it's an opensource SQL server, same goes for
    phpBB.

    if you were talking about MSSQL than yes Microsoft SQL server
    is Windows only.

    > which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is ONLY available for Windows
    > machines. Also, Live 365, my primary stream connection, ONLY supports
    > Windows machines, so I am stuck using Windoze on my server.

  14. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <1192463519.586090.101340@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    > chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> My server is on a 100 meg pipe,
    >> but Windows starts to become unstable with a fraction of that load.

    > So, besides supporting unethical behavior you don't know how to setup
    > servers either.

    where was there any indication he did anything unethical?
    i'm sure i just missed it but his broken english doesn't make it
    easy to, nor does it give you the incentive to read his whole post

  15. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In message <1192463519.586090.101340@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>
    chilly8@hotmail.com wrote:

    >The trouble is that MySQL,
    >which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is ONLY available for Windows
    >machines.

    Someone smack me, I've got to be dreaming, he can't be THAT dumb...

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  16. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In message <47154336$0$22313$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be> goarilla <"kevin
    DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote:

    >mmm can you give me some pointers on how to detect tunnels
    >or encapsulated traffic (don't know if they are called tunnels as well)
    >but with
    >this i mean for instance icmp packets carrying application headers (eg:
    >http)

    I'd be worried about *any* machine emitting a large amount of ICMP
    traffic, either the packet count or the overall bandwidth associated
    with ICMP being too high would set off flags as being a likely
    participant in a DDoS.

    I might not catch 2MB of data, but then 2MB of data won't adversely
    affect a corporate network either.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  17. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In article <47154336$0$22313$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, goarilla <"kevin
    DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> I have a bloke from England in one of my chat rooms dedicated to
    > >> coverage who is using encrypted tunnel to his residential DSL
    > >> line on these new 25 megabit lines they have in England, and the
    > >> he is tunneling out from there to my server, and he this guy is
    > >> even BOASTING in my chat room right now that the boss
    > >> will NEVER catch him, and he may well be right, if he is
    > >> using strong enough encryption.

    > > Like you, there are a lot of DUMB people out there.
    > >
    > > If his employer has a firewall that can provide real-time monitoring,
    > > the tunnel is very easy to spot and will get the chap booted. Tunnels
    > > are the easiest things to see/detect.
    > >

    > mmm can you give me some pointers on how to detect tunnels
    > or encapsulated traffic (don't know if they are called tunnels as well)
    > but with
    > this i mean for instance icmp packets carrying application headers (eg:
    > http)

    Since the tunnel doesn't change IP's source/destination, it's easy
    enough to find - just look for anything that maintains a connection.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  18. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In message Leythos
    wrote:

    >> mmm can you give me some pointers on how to detect tunnels
    >> or encapsulated traffic (don't know if they are called tunnels as well)
    >> but with
    >> this i mean for instance icmp packets carrying application headers (eg:
    >> http)

    >Since the tunnel doesn't change IP's source/destination, it's easy
    >enough to find - just look for anything that maintains a connection.

    Data tunneled through an ICMP connection doesn't "maintain" a connection
    (nor does UDP, unless you understand the application layer protocol)

    However, the spike of ICMP traffic itself would set of flags.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  19. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > chilly8@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> The trouble is that MySQL, which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is
    >> ONLY available for Windows machines.

    > Someone smack me, I've got to be dreaming, he can't be THAT dumb...

    He is, so could you please stop feeding that idiot?

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  20. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    On Oct 16, 4:06 pm, goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be">
    wrote:
    > chil...@hotmail.com wrote:

    > > On Oct 15, 7:49 am, Leythos wrote:
    > >> In article , chil...@hotmail.com says...

    > > And that was just for "small fry" in tennis. I am just wondering what
    > > will happen when the Big Guns of tennis take the court later on this
    > > week. WTA Zurich is the unofficial European championships of tennis,
    > > and there European players in the top 10. Jenin, Jankovic, and
    > > Sharapova are expected to take the court later on this week. And when
    > > the various P2P TV services also get into the picture, I think
    > > corporate network admins in Europe better stock up on their supply of
    > > headache pills, they are going to NEED them, it looks like. I can just
    > > imagine the strain on corporate networks all over Europe when these
    > > three young ladies take the court in Zurich later on this week.

    > wtf ... iirc WTA Zurich is not even a grand slam and in general
    > the big guns only go to these things to prepare for the grand slams
    > like wimbledon. And who the hell is Jenin if you mean henin than shame
    > on you
    > for mistyping the nr 1 female tennis player and co-belgian justin henin

    Sorry about that, but I am the WORST proofreader there ever was.

    Also, I have seen enough load on my server to slow it down. While I
    have the bandwidth to handle the load, the server tends to slow down
    if a lot of people come onto the message boards or chat rooms. Today,
    it slowed the server enough where the connection to Live 365 dropped
    off several times. The Live 365 broadcasting tool shows the CPU
    efficiency in real time, and the CPU efficiency, at one point, had
    dropped to 8.1 percent. There was quiite a load on my server this
    morning, and coming almost entirely from corporate network addresses
    in Europe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast