Leaving computers on after work? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Leaving computers on after work? - Firewalls ; Chilly8 wrote: >I thought virtually any employer around would require you to turn your >work PC off at the end of the day. That isn't true in the case of networks that need the workstations left on in order to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    Chilly8 wrote:

    >I thought virtually any employer around would require you to turn your
    >work PC off at the end of the day.

    That isn't true in the case of networks that need the workstations
    left on in order to perform maintenance on them after hours - patches,
    updates, etc... Requiring that the users log off the network is
    normally the case.

    > I find that some of the Tor relay
    >nodes are on corporate networks, and some employees have Tor
    >relay nodes running on them all weekend.

    Those networks either have very liberal policies in place or very poor
    policy enforcement.

  2. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In message <47168715.85220031@gynecology.msu.edu> Sharky
    wrote:

    >That isn't true in the case of networks that need the workstations
    >left on in order to perform maintenance on them after hours - patches,
    >updates, etc... Requiring that the users log off the network is
    >normally the case.

    AV scans, even defragmentation, backups, etc. also come to mind.

    I don't think I've ever worked or consulted anywhere that had a request
    to turn workstations off overnight.

    I've seen various policies, 1) lock or logout, 2) logout, 3) reboot
    (leaving the machine logged out), or 4) no policy at all.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  3. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >In message <1192463519.586090.101340@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>
    >chilly8@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>The trouble is that MySQL,
    >>which phpBB and vBulletin both need, is ONLY available for Windows
    >>machines.

    >Someone smack me, I've got to be dreaming, he can't be THAT dumb...

    Alas, he is. Chilly8's previous posting history is full of
    ignorant conjecture about information systems and data communication
    technology.

  4. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >In message <47168715.85220031@gynecology.msu.edu> Sharky
    > wrote:
    >
    >>That isn't true in the case of networks that need the workstations
    >>left on in order to perform maintenance on them after hours - patches,
    >>updates, etc... Requiring that the users log off the network is
    >>normally the case.

    >AV scans, even defragmentation, backups, etc. also come to mind.
    >
    >I don't think I've ever worked or consulted anywhere that had a request
    >to turn workstations off overnight.
    >
    >I've seen various policies, 1) lock or logout, 2) logout, 3) reboot
    >(leaving the machine logged out), or 4) no policy at all.

    Yep, a good network security environment will set network access times
    for users and enforce it through network server policy.

  5. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    In message <47199435.88581078@gynecology.msu.edu> Sharky
    wrote:

    >Yep, a good network security environment will set network access times
    >for users and enforce it through network server policy.

    I'm not sure I'd go that far, if I was working on something and my
    machine logged itself off, that work would be discarded and lost
    forever, until the customer called back.

    The customer would then get forwarded to the VP to explain the
    situation, and that network policy would no longer exist the next night.

    However, that depends on the type of network and type of user base.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  6. Re: Leaving computers on after work?

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >In message <47199435.88581078@gynecology.msu.edu> Sharky
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yep, a good network security environment will set network access times
    >>for users and enforce it through network server policy.

    >I'm not sure I'd go that far, if I was working on something and my
    >machine logged itself off, that work would be discarded and lost
    >forever, until the customer called back.
    >
    >The customer would then get forwarded to the VP to explain the
    >situation, and that network policy would no longer exist the next night.
    >
    >However, that depends on the type of network and type of user base.

    There needs to be an understanding of what times are acceptable for
    users to be logged into a network. If you're dealing with say a
    remote sales force, that may need access to the network for 18 hours a
    day, then you set their access times appropriately. A worker that has
    no remote access and can only be on premisses between 8am and 5pm
    would have their network access privileges set accordingly. The real
    problem with setting such policies is sticking to them and not
    allowing users to gain more access than they need. Granted it is not
    necessarily needed in an organization that has few information systems
    assets that need protection, but if security is paramount then it's
    certainly a useful precaution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2