Copying files through a firewall from LAN to DMZ? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Copying files through a firewall from LAN to DMZ? - Firewalls ; Hi all, hopefully this is the right place to ask! I need a robust method to copy image files (mainly pdf's, jpg's and tif's) from a document management system inside a corporate lan onto a dmz to enable public access ...

  1. Copying files through a firewall from LAN to DMZ?

    Hi all,

    hopefully this is the right place to ask!

    I need a robust method to copy image files (mainly pdf's, jpg's and
    tif's) from a document management system inside a corporate lan onto a
    dmz to enable public access over the net.

    The current methodology for this is for a scheduled task on the lan
    side to uuencode new files and, having a sql*net rule (or MSSQL
    equivalent, depending on the client's preferred db) on the firewall,
    insert the resultant text into a field on a staging-db in the DMZ.

    Another scheduled task running in the DMZ then reads the rows in the
    staging-db, recreates the files by unencoded them and writing them
    out.

    However, this is prone to all sorts of errors - scheduled tasks can
    fail, encoding process might not work for some files, database inserts
    might fail, unencoding doesn't work, etc, etc.

    What I really want is a single scheduled task (I don't mind where it
    sits - lan or DMZ) that can copy the files over without compromising
    the security of the lan.

    Is there a secure method to open up a firewall in this way?

    Thanks in advance

    Neil

  2. Re: Copying files through a firewall from LAN to DMZ?

    In article <1192117969.356335.311140@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    neil.chinnery@googlemail.com says...
    > What I really want is a single scheduled task (I don't mind where it
    > sits - lan or DMZ) that can copy the files over without compromising
    > the security of the lan.

    FTP works well and uses one port and works in one direction.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"