Seek hardware firewall for home user - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Seek hardware firewall for home user - Firewalls ; Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware firewall? Here are some details. I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and ...

  1. Seek hardware firewall for home user

    Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    firewall? Here are some details.

    I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.

    I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    protected by a hardware firewall.

    I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.

    Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    and to update is good.

    -------

    What sort of hardware firewall should I get?

    What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.

    On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary
    ..

  2. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    In article , jon@nomail.com says...
    > Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    > firewall? Here are some details.
    >
    > I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    > connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    > Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    > scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.
    >
    > I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    > protected by a hardware firewall.
    >
    > I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    > (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.
    >
    > Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    > security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    > hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    > and to update is good.
    >

    > What sort of hardware firewall should I get?
    >
    > What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    > 100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.
    >
    > On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    > controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary
    > .

    You're not going to get a firewall for under $250 US, but you can get a
    NAT router that many vendors call a firewall. Look up NAT Router on
    google.

    A NAT Router will provide the basic protection you need and give you the
    ability to run multiple computers off that device.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    John D wrote:
    > Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    > firewall? Here are some details.
    >
    > I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    > connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    > Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    > scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.
    >
    > I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    > protected by a hardware firewall.
    >
    > I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    > (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.
    >
    > Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    > security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    > hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    > and to update is good.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > What sort of hardware firewall should I get?
    >
    > What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    > 100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.
    >
    > On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    > controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary
    > .

    Have a look at the Netgear FVS114. Only suitable for quite small
    networks (crashes if you overload it) but for 1-10 machines it should be
    fine. I have two in service; in the smaller office of one client (8
    machines, printer) it's mostly fine but in their larger office on two
    floors we've had to replace it with its big brother. Very cheap!

    Phil, London

  4. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    John D wrote:
    > Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    > firewall? Here are some details.
    >
    > I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    > connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    > Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    > scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.
    >
    > I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    > protected by a hardware firewall.
    >
    > I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    > (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.
    >
    > Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    > security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    > hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    > and to update is good.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > What sort of hardware firewall should I get?
    >
    > What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    > 100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.
    >
    > On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    > controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary
    > .

    Like the other replies say - a reasonable router is generally good
    enough if you're on a budget!
    I also use a Netgear but in my case a WGU624 plus the ISP bundled
    software firewall.
    Between them I have survived thus far!

  5. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:21:48 +0100, John D wrote:

    >Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    >firewall? Here are some details.
    >
    >I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    >connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    >Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    >scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.
    >
    >I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    >protected by a hardware firewall.
    >
    >I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    >(about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.
    >
    >Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    >security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    >hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    >and to update is good.
    >
    >-------
    >
    >What sort of hardware firewall should I get?
    >
    >What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    >100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.
    >
    >On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    >controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary

    What does your cable modem include? Some may have this already built
    in. If it doesn't and your cable model has an ethernet port you could
    just plug in a firewall/router.

    Failing that you could just replace your modem with a combined
    modem/router/firewall. Just search for "cable router".

  6. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    Mark wrote:

    [...]
    > Failing that you could just replace your modem with a combined
    > modem/router/firewall. Just search for "cable router".

    I didn't think you could do that with a Virgin Media cable connection?

    The OP would need to retain his supplied modem, and add a router. This could
    be wireless or not.

    Chris

    --
    Remove prejudice to reply.

  7. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    "John D" wrote in message
    > Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    > firewall? Here are some details.
    >
    > I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    > connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    > Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    > scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.
    >
    > I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    > protected by a hardware firewall.
    >
    > I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    > (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.
    >
    > Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    > security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    > hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    > and to update is good.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > What sort of hardware firewall should I get?
    >
    > What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    > 100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.
    >
    > On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    > controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary
    > .

    John,

    I'm running a LinkSys wireless router (WRT54GS) in my office which lists for
    around $79USD that should work nicely for you. It will be your gateway to
    the internet, allows for both wired (4 ports) and wireless.

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=1545339789B02

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/ysvcaq

    There certainly other manufactures that also use NAT as the firewall with
    the premise being, if they can't see you, they won't bother you. The router
    has a number of other options to help keep the bad guy's from gaining
    access. The WRT54GS has been around for awhile. I have a version 2 model
    while they are now at version 7. I have installed these at a clients site
    and although we had one router fail (thermal issue), no other problems and
    they have been rock solid.

    Bob S.

  8. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    On Oct 11, 2:21 pm, John D wrote:
    > Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware
    > firewall? Here are some details.
    >
    > I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC
    > connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the
    > Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and
    > scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.
    >
    > I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better
    > protected by a hardware firewall.
    >
    > I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might
    > (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.
    >
    > Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and
    > security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the
    > hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use,
    > and to update is good.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > What sort of hardware firewall should I get?
    >
    > What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over
    > 100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.
    >
    > On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few
    > controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary
    > .

    I'd definately recommend www.smoothwall.org - mine runs sweet as a nut
    in my cupboard on a p2-200Mhz with 128ram and 4gig HD. lovely!

  9. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    Steve Williamson wrote:

    > I'd definately recommend www.smoothwall.org - mine runs sweet as a nut
    > in my cupboard on a p2-200Mhz with 128ram and 4gig HD. lovely!

    How does 'Smoothwall' compare with a 'Bering Leaf' firewall/router
    (using iptables setup with Shorewall)? Isn't 128Meg and 4Gig a bit of
    overkill - 'Bering Leaf' will run with 16Meg off a floppy (though I'm
    running mine off a CF card)

    Jim Ford

  10. Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:21:49 GMT, Jim Ford
    wrote:

    >Steve Williamson wrote:
    >
    >> I'd definately recommend www.smoothwall.org - mine runs sweet as a nut
    >> in my cupboard on a p2-200Mhz with 128ram and 4gig HD. lovely!

    >How does 'Smoothwall' compare with a 'Bering Leaf' firewall/router
    >(using iptables setup with Shorewall)? Isn't 128Meg and 4Gig a bit of
    >overkill - 'Bering Leaf' will run with 16Meg off a floppy (though I'm
    >running mine off a CF card)

    Smoothwall/IPCop (very similar) will run on a 16meg 486, but does like
    a 40meg or so hard drive if you need logs. It's about a 10meg install,
    and a full web interface.

    Hunting through the spare kitbits at the moment, if I wanted to build
    one it'd end up being at least a P3-750 with 128meg and a 60gig HD.

    Instead I use my Netgear DG834PN router.

    Cheers - Jaimie
    --
    "I did not attend his funeral, but I wrote a nice letter saying
    I approved of it." - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread