nForce4 Firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on nForce4 Firewall - Firewalls ; Doing an overhaul on one of my systems and when I was installing the nForce4 drivers, it asked if I wanted to install the firewall? After a bit of research, I've found that I actually have a hardware firewall built-in ...

  1. nForce4 Firewall

    Doing an overhaul on one of my systems and when I was installing the nForce4
    drivers, it asked if I wanted to install the firewall? After a bit of
    research, I've found that I actually have a hardware firewall built-in on
    this Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard that I've never used - or even knew
    about.

    Google doesn't turn up much but maybe I'm not using the right terms (i.e.,
    nforce4 firewall ) and the Asus site has some old press releases but nothing
    up to date. The nForce drivers are the latest v6.86.

    Anyone use this firewall or have any links that offer any up-to-date
    opinions or other information?

    Thanks,

    Bob S.

  2. Re: nForce4 Firewall

    BobS wrote:
    > Doing an overhaul on one of my systems and when I was installing the nForce4
    > drivers, it asked if I wanted to install the firewall? After a bit of
    > research, I've found that I actually have a hardware firewall built-in on
    > this Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard that I've never used - or even knew
    > about.
    >
    > Google doesn't turn up much but maybe I'm not using the right terms (i.e.,
    > nforce4 firewall ) and the Asus site has some old press releases but nothing
    > up to date. The nForce drivers are the latest v6.86.
    >
    > Anyone use this firewall or have any links that offer any up-to-date
    > opinions or other information?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.

    When I query under nforce4 firewall I get over 300,000 returns.

    Wikipedia is far from an "ultimate source" but it does discuss some
    shortcomings in the nvidia firewall. I have an Asus A8n premium mobo
    and at the time I purchased it, the word on the street was the nvidia
    firewall was a non-functional PITA that caused all kinds of software
    conflicts.

  3. Re: nForce4 Firewall

    "SumGuy" wrote in message

    > When I query under nforce4 firewall I get over 300,000 returns.
    >
    > Wikipedia is far from an "ultimate source" but it does discuss some
    > shortcomings in the nvidia firewall. I have an Asus A8n premium mobo and
    > at the time I purchased it, the word on the street was the nvidia firewall
    > was a non-functional PITA that caused all kinds of software conflicts.

    Yep - I got 310,000 hits using that phrase without quotes and 813 with
    quotes. Of those, I've looked at quite a few but its mostly dated 2004/2005
    reviews, ng posts and such. This is more of a curious pursuit now because
    I'm intrigued that Nvidia has nothing new to say about it and even the forum
    references I find are 3 years old. But yet - they update it.

    Obviously it's nothing to brag about then but since its their hardware, it
    needs to be supported - good, bad or indifferent.

    Thanks for your time and your reply,

    Bob S.

+ Reply to Thread