HW requirment - Firewalls

This is a discussion on HW requirment - Firewalls ; Hi, I'need some council about hardware requirement for NG AI. I know the minimal requirment and I have found some old posts regarding theese issues, but I would like to know something more, and have some general parameter of reference. ...

  1. HW requirment

    Hi,
    I'need some council about hardware requirement for NG AI. I know the
    minimal requirment and I have found some old posts regarding theese
    issues, but I would like to know something more, and have some general
    parameter of reference.

    Processor:
    is it necessary or recomanded a dual processor for a fw module? And
    for the management console?

    Ram:

    i have found this post from Wayne:

    (# standard connections * 70 bytes)
    +
    (# NAT connections * 120 bytes)
    +
    (# VPN tunnels * 3000 bytes)
    +
    3Mb for *nix/NT (for the fw.exe itself)

    but, if I can't know how many standard/nat connections ecc. more or
    less will pass through the firewall, a choose of 1Gb will be fine for
    a medium size network?

    And can you give me some parameter for the size of ram of the
    management console?

    Disks:

    Is recomanded disk redundancy for the fw module and the management
    console?
    what kind redundancy?
    What about the disks size?

    Sorry for all these questions, but it's difficult for me to choose the
    hardware, I don't have enough experience.

    Thanks a lot.

    Matte

  2. Re: HW requirment

    matte pounded out on the keyboard on or about 18-Dec-04 06:28:

    If this is a new installation for you, I'd recommend that you look at
    the Nokia platform for running your FW-1 on.
    CheckPoint and Nokia have a great partnership. We use the IP530 in an HA
    setup and is fine for performance and throughput.
    We also use the IP130s and IP330s for customers who require their own
    site or application security.
    And with the Nokia boxes, there is no "hardening" of the OS to be done.
    (And then having to un-harden because Windows can't run properly without
    some of the holes reopen.)
    Take a look at both www.checkpoint.com and www.nokia.com
    Good luck!

    Jeff

    > Hi,
    > I'need some council about hardware requirement for NG AI. I know the
    > minimal requirment and I have found some old posts regarding theese
    > issues, but I would like to know something more, and have some general
    > parameter of reference.
    >
    > Processor:
    > is it necessary or recomanded a dual processor for a fw module? And
    > for the management console?
    >
    > Ram:
    >
    > i have found this post from Wayne:
    >
    > (# standard connections * 70 bytes)
    > +
    > (# NAT connections * 120 bytes)
    > +
    > (# VPN tunnels * 3000 bytes)
    > +
    > 3Mb for *nix/NT (for the fw.exe itself)
    >

    > but, if I can't know how many standard/nat connections ecc. more or
    > less will pass through the firewall, a choose of 1Gb will be fine for
    > a medium size network?
    >
    > And can you give me some parameter for the size of ram of the
    > management console?
    >
    > Disks:
    >
    > Is recomanded disk redundancy for the fw module and the management
    > console?
    > what kind redundancy?
    > What about the disks size?
    >
    > Sorry for all these questions, but it's difficult for me to choose the
    > hardware, I don't have enough experience.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Matte

+ Reply to Thread