Please please please help ... I'm a novice at CP FW-1 and am
experiencing the:

"Connection cannot be initiated. Make sure that the Server 'localhost'
is up and running and that you are defined as a GUI client."

I am using PuTTY to generate a SSL connection and forwarding. This way
I don't have to set up a lot of GUI clients. Until recently this has
been workign fine, but now only a handful of machines are able to
access the GUI management console.

One of the PCs which cannot connect is on the same subnet as the
management server so is not blocked by a firewall

Any assistance would be awesome... thanx.

S.

bouke wrote:
> All,
>
> After a working configuration, i now have the following issue:
>
> I got the following 'wierd/annoying' issue with our managementserver:
>

> ******** symptoms **********
> Connecting from the laptop to the managementserver i do not seem to

get
> authenticated to the server.
>
> response from Smartdashboard:
>
> "Connection cannot be initiated. Make sure that the managementserver
> 10.16.13.4 is up and running."
>
> ******** Environment Description *********
>
> setup: laptop/client ----> Managementserver ----> firewalls
>
> laptop: windows 2000 Professional running Smart Client: NG FP3 Build

53933
> (10.16.99.16)
> server: Solaris 8 : fw ver ==> NG FP3 build 53225 (10.16.13.4)
>
> laptop is added as a management client in cpconfig (list rebuild)
> cplic print is correct
> new administrator was added via cpconfig
> machine is listening to 18190 (telnet from laptop responds with a
> connection)
> server is pingable and reachable via ssh
> laptop was also connected via hub (ip 10.16.13.5, also allowed) to

rule out
> filtering --> same error
>
> when I start smartdashboard i do see on the managementserver briefly:
> ams1mfw1.18190 10.16.99.16.3090 64512 0 24820 0
> ESTABLISHED
>
> This hints me to an issue with the FW-1 software and not to

OS/network
> related issues ??
>
> Anyone have a clue what might be causing this?
>
> Recent changes:
> * latest 4 windows 2000 patches
> * checkpoint secure-client (also removed and tried, no effect)
> * backoffice-migration (changed the DNS-servers to different IP,

is