Migrate SmartCenter from Windows to IPSO platform? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Migrate SmartCenter from Windows to IPSO platform? - Firewalls ; I would like to upgrade our centralized firewall management station currently running CheckPoint FP2 on Windows 2000 to SmartCenter AI R55 that has been installed on a new IP350 running IPSO 3.7, build 032. Basically, I plan to upgrade on ...

  1. Migrate SmartCenter from Windows to IPSO platform?

    I would like to upgrade our centralized firewall management station
    currently running CheckPoint FP2 on Windows 2000 to SmartCenter AI R55
    that has been installed on a new IP350 running IPSO 3.7, build 032.
    Basically, I plan to upgrade on the IP350 machine, while the
    production Management Server is fully operational. This will allow me
    to test the full functionality of the new Management Server, with the
    intent to switch to the new upgraded machine. I am having difficulty
    finding documentation for migrating from the Windows platform to the
    IPSO platform. Specifically, what steps are required to migrate the
    policy and cert from Windows to IPSO. I have located a CheckPoint
    document titled "How To Upgrade a Management Server" dated February
    2003 with information in Appendix B "Duplicate machine using an OS
    different than the production machine". However, I am unsure if this
    information is still relevant when upgrading to CheckPoint SmartCenter
    AI R55. Is anyone aware of additional documentation, or tips for
    performing this upgrade/migration. TIA

  2. Re: Migrate SmartCenter from Windows to IPSO platform?

    bytesnagger wrote:
    > I would like to upgrade our centralized firewall management station
    > currently running CheckPoint FP2 on Windows 2000 to SmartCenter AI R55
    > that has been installed on a new IP350 running IPSO 3.7, build 032.
    > Basically, I plan to upgrade on the IP350 machine, while the
    > production Management Server is fully operational. This will allow me
    > to test the full functionality of the new Management Server, with the
    > intent to switch to the new upgraded machine. I am having difficulty
    > finding documentation for migrating from the Windows platform to the
    > IPSO platform. Specifically, what steps are required to migrate the
    > policy and cert from Windows to IPSO. I have located a CheckPoint
    > document titled "How To Upgrade a Management Server" dated February
    > 2003 with information in Appendix B "Duplicate machine using an OS
    > different than the production machine". However, I am unsure if this
    > information is still relevant when upgrading to CheckPoint SmartCenter
    > AI R55. Is anyone aware of additional documentation, or tips for
    > performing this upgrade/migration. TIA

    Use the upgrade utilities from Check Point to move your SC.
    upgrade_export exports all necessary data into a .tgz file which you can
    import on the new box with upgrade_import. Voilá you have a copy of your
    SC including ICA and SIC relations. And: You can also change the IP
    address of the management server while migrating.

    Cheers,
    Thomas

    --
    Thomas Marko (CCSE, NG)