On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Andres wrote:

> When I'm at home, I want to use the access point's firewall, and leave
> all the other things unsecured, like the file sharing turned on on the
> notebooks (I'm using WEP).

WEP is dead. If you're not using WPA, you have no security.

> I don't want to fill my computer of antivirus, anti spyware, and
> Norton rubbish, I prefer a simple configuration like this.
> Please, if you have some ideas about this, share it with me, or
> perhaps to tell me that I'm missing something that makes this
> situation nonviable.

All the Windows attacks of late have been in-band, if you're not running
AV on Windows the only way to save yourself from anything other than DLL
injections is to be running software restriction policies in default deny
mode. Without on-access AV scanning and ant-spyware scanning you're
likely to have a compromise.

Paul