Dan,

This is something our organization has just begun doing. We are a state
university that has student users on the inside of the network and we have
some of the same fears.

After we began designing it we realized it was actually easier than it
sounds. We have a cisco firewall services module that we us for our head
end. We simply just created another context on this unit but the key was
that it can be done in 'transparent mode' which actually bridges the
interfaces instead of routing them. So, for a given network, you can move
a machine behind a firewall and not even have to renumber it. If it
doesn't work, patch it back to the other side and go find out what was
wrong. It's as simple as having 1 vlan that's not protected and 1 vlan
that's protected.

If you can clearly define your services into roles and create clean
object-groups out of them, it's easy enough to drop a server into a role
then move it to the other vlan.

Jason Mishka - "I'm like a Subway in a land of McDonalds..."