From: Kimberly Fields
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:32 am
Subject: [fw-wiz] Cisco ASA and FWSM
To: firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.com

> Can anyone tell me what, if any, are the differences between the
> Cisco ASA
> firewall features and the Cisco FWSM firewall features?

--Boundary_(ID_ekZlXKLpZV0qsN27JoyNIQ)

Hi Kimberly,

Almost the same -- albeit FWSM v2.3 runs PIX v6.3 code and FWSM v3.1 runs PIX v7.0 code. Take note however that the FWSM contains very stripped down VPN/IPsec capabilities. Minimal tunnel peers and even then, its primarily for management purposes. If you want plentiful VPN termination, Cisco wants you to purchase the SVC-IPSEC blade module.

Julian