As Avishai said, the FWSM is just a firewall, no VPN or IDS support at
all (those are different modules

If you can do without the features, you still have to consider cost:
the last time I looked at FWSMs they were in the 20k USD range..

The main thing you get with FWSM is performance (supposedly about
6gb/s limited by the 6-gb etherchannel it takes from the backplane)
tied directly to your core switch/router, if that's what you're
looking for.