AFAIK the FWSM is essentially a PIX 7.x that is stuck inside a
catalyst switch chassis. and an ASA is a PIX 7.x that is
bundled with some other (non-firewall) security functions .

the configuration language was 99.9% compatible between the ASA
and the FWSM, at least as of PIX 7.0. I'm not sure if Cisco kept the
code-bases evolving in sync - there were a few months in which FWSM was
shipping but PIX 7.0 was not released yet...

In my opinion, the main differences are "form factor" and pricing. If
all you need
is a firewall then you don't care about the other things the ASA may do.
If you already have a Catalyst with an empty expansion bay - it may
be convenient to get a FWSM (e.g. less rack-space).

HTH,
Avishai

On 4/13/07, Kimberly Fields wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what, if any, are the differences between the Cisco ASA
> firewall features and the Cisco FWSM firewall features?

Avishai Wool, Ph.D., Cell: +972-52-333-0052
Co-founder and Chief Technical Officer
http://www.algosec.com
******* Firewall Management Made Smarter ******