Either one will do the multicast. You can build GRE tunnels, which in
a source to receiver (i.e. star topology 4 hosts = 4 tunnels and the
1 source has 4 tunnels). You can do the same in a full mesh, but you
will have to build a tunnel for each receiver to each receiver (4
hosts = 32 tunnels). This is the old way. You will have to tunnel
the IGMP I believe over the VPN as it will not handle IGMP traffic. I
may be wrong on that.

Try these also:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/
technologies_tech_note09186a00800a9a3d.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/
products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7 94.html

Thanks,
Chris

On Jan 29, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Kurt Buff wrote:

> Situation in the case is that we're implementing equipment that uses
> multicast to talk between multiple instances of themselves - I'm not
> clear yet whether there'll be a designated talker with multiple
> listeners, or whether there'll be multiple talkers and multiple
> listeners.
>
> I'm reading the doco now - thanks for the tip. This should provide me
> with a running start.
>
> I'll be interested in finding out whether I can use a layer3 switch at
> each end to do this, or if I need edge routers to set this up.
>
> Kurt
>
> On 1/28/07, Chris Myers wrote:
>>> Hi Kurt,

>> I am not sure what you are exactly needing to use the IGMP
>> for, but
>> most firewall and vpn solutions can do what you want to do. It's a
>> matter of creating the right tunnels or forwarding the right ports
>> and protocols. Cisco is a solution, but Juniper can do it just as
>> well. It really depends on the implementation you are needing IGMP
>> for. IGMP is associated with multicast formats, so here is a Cisco
>> doc that should get you started.
>>
>>> http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf...ol/ns171/c649/
>>> ccmigration_09186a008074f26a.pdf