nuqneH,

There are some architectural issues as well. I.e. stock authsrv talks
via localhost port - if your machine runs proxies you should use
tricky configuration options to prevent them from talking to it except
when they are ought to do.

There is an encryption patch, but IIRC it was not included in Gauntlet,
and it uses silly single-pass DES PSK and authsrv has fixed banner
displaying at the start of each session for bruteforcers' joy.

OpenFWTK has subtle API change to communicate via unix socket when
needed and the change is transparent for all applications.