This is usually done transparently by using WCCP and Squid. You tell
the router to redirect packets to the web cache, Squid provides the
cache through WCCP, and then the router returns packets from the cache.

For what it's worth, WCCP version 1 support in Squid is a bit flakey.
I've tried to use it in production networks but I've always had
problems and have moved to commercial web proxy boxes instead (like