--On Friday, September 15, 2006 9:02 AM -0600 Aaron Smith
wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:55 -0400, Carson Gaspar wrote:
>> --On Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:26 PM -0600 Aaron Smith
>> wrote:
>> > Using a crossover cable is not a good idea.
>> >
>> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fire...3896023171&w=2

>> Which is exactly the same as a switch failure, and if you can't handle
>> that, then your product/design is crap.

> Unless you are intelligent and home the firewalls to different switches
> (as we have done). If both switches fail then you have bigger problems
> than firewall failover.
>
>> This is FUD.

> How, exactly?

There are _zero_ reliable commercial HA solutions that will go insane if
you use a cross-over cable and they both loose link at the same time. If
you use 2 switches, and the trunk between them fails, both devices think
they are "up" (yes, you can use multiple trunks, but you can use multiple
x-overs as well - keep it apples to apples). If you use a cross-over cable,
and it fails, both devices think they are "down". Any decent HA system can
handle both failure modes. If an HA system _can't_ handle both failure
modes, it's crap and you shouldn't buy it.

--
Carson