The previous message suggested that formal grammars would make it easier to
define and model a network protocol to make it more secure. My example of ASN.1
is of exactly a formal grammar used to define and model a network protocol. It
is a grammar for a much simpler "language" than most Internet protocols, so one
would expect that the interpreters for it should be more likely to be proven
correct than more general ones like HTTP.
The Mitre CVE set has 22 ASN.1 vulnerabilities or candidates since 2004. These
have been very significant ones that have crossed multiple operating systems and
caused some harm.

Writing secure software, even with a formal mechanism for defining what one
wants, is still a very hard problem.

Since most firewall rules are tuplets of form:
,

perhaps formal set theory might help in enumerating the effect of firewall
rules.
One could find the transitive closure of these rules using graph theory
algorithms to reach a summary of the effective firewall rule set. This would
make a nice Ph.D. thesis for someone.