ASN.1 is a formal language to describe data structures for use of a number of
protocols. One would expect that protocols that use ASN.1 as their structure
grammar should be quite secure.
But there have probably been more vulnerabilities in ASN.1 based protocols
than any other. SO even a formal grammar is probably not good enough to define
"correct" input.