And you can equally argue that proxies were never good to begin
with. Really - the majority of applications out there have no real
layer 7 level proxy so you have to tackle the problem from other
directions. And the off the shell proxies (smtp, dns, http, etc)
don't offer much value since these applications have been tested to
death or the application isn't anymore "protected". What is the
point of recommending a solution that doesn't exist? I am a fan of
proxies but the reality is the firewall - whether it be proxy or
other - is only a small part of the equation.

t.s