The PIX will also participate in mcast routing protocols. It can also
be configured to join a mcast group for systems that are unable to
send IGMP join requests; and relay the traffic out the proper
interface.

On 8/1/06, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> The only firewall I know of that actually speaks multicast routing is the
> Juniper/Netscreen. Almost any firewall can be configured to forward the
> traffic, but most won't participate in the group membership protocols.
> Others have recommended the PIX - it would be my second choice, as it
> handles heavy loads pretty well. Checkpoint would be dead last - it's
> terrible at small packet high volume forwarding.
>
> --On Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:41 AM +0000 Bob Arthurs
> wrote:
>
> > hello
> >
> > my company is going to build three new data centers and we are
> > considering what type of firewalls to put in. i need some advice, and
> > any help is very much appreciated...
> >
> > The firewalls need to be able to forward quite high volumes of mulitcast
> > and interact with **PIM router** (cisco router). Traffic volumes are at
> > least 10s of Mbps (including unicast traffic), maybe 100s, maybe 1Gbps!
> >
> > Previously we have used Nokia firewalls, but we want to know what people
> > are choosing thes days for data center/multicast:
> >
> > should be go with Checkpoint, Cisco, other....
> >
> > do we need Checkpoint Secure Platform / Secure Platform Pro?
> >
> > do we need Checkpoint on Crossbeam or other appliance?
> >
> > any special considerations for PIM / Multicast?
> >
> > what are the alternatives, when are they used, and what are their
> > pros/cons.
> >

> > Thankyou very much in advance....

Pete Capelli pcapelli@ieee.org
http://www.capelli.org PGP Key ID:0x829263B6
"Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759