On 19/06/06 19:55 -0500, Frank Knobbe wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 19:55 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
> > It's a reasonable first step. If the user has the ability to modify their
> > resolver configuration, then that may be a bigger issue than running a
> > chat client. [...]

> > The answer given is enough to enforce the policy from casual abusers,
> > which is really the goal of most protective policy measures. [...]

> No, the point is that the answer is a "band-aid" approach that requires
> a certain setup (the ability to intercept name requests and return fixed
> IPs). It is not a general solution that anyone can employ, and it
> requires a more invasive modification of someones network instead of
> just filtering (or allowing) a port on a firewall.

Bleh. Filtering out nameservers is one way of using a proxy to block
traffic. You do run your own recursive resolvers anyway, right?

Not running your own resolvers is a bad idea in the first place.

> It is a "band-aid" approach rather than a mature solution. If Google
> can't provide a mature way of preventing traffic *1 what does that tell
> you about the design of the program/protocol?

Lets see, https for authentication, XMPP for communication? Rather open
standards, aren't these?

This isn't a bandaid. Oh, and if you really want to stop the problem,
why not just prevent the installation of the software in the first
place?

Firewalls _are_ bandaids. If software was written correctly, you
wouldn't need them in the first place.

> With all the stunts modern IM solution perform in order to maintain
> network connectivity (tunneling even over telnet...sigh), the obvious

And the reason outbound telnet is allowed from a random client host is?

> answer is that these protocols are *designed* not to be circumvented or
> denied. The answer "oh, just modify your network so that name resolution
> gets forwarded to a central box where you can split requests (like
> dnscache) and either forward requests to upstream resolvers or provide
> local responses for the domain in question, and then just return a fake
> IP address to the client hoping that the OS trusts the DNS servers
> response enough so that our application gets successfully tricked into
> not connecting to our servers" ...(/me catching breath after that
> sentence).... that answer sounds really like a lame duck.

My question would be, why aren't you running your own recursive resolver
in the first place? Why are your clients directly talking to the world?

#include

Devdas Bhagat