--===============2063791700==

--=-FAx6J+aJpLEFlJYj3fZA

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 08:35 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
> As usual, it's always good to start at the source...
>=20
> From: Google Team
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> Thank you for contacting the Google Talk Team. We understand that it is
> sometimes necessary to disable instant messaging services on a network. I=

> you need to disable Google Talk on your network, we suggest blocking DNS
> lookups to talk.google.com, by returning 127.0.0.1.

Wait.... isn't that "security through obscurity"? What prevents the user
from using:

216.239.37.125 talk.google.com

in his hosts file? You are telling me that Google recommends attempting
to foil a resolver by returning bogus entries as an attempt to prohibit
Google Talk traffic in a network? Is that the new Status Quo of Internet
giants, giving stupid "un-security" advice like that?

Excuse me while I wipe the coffee off my screen and keyboard...

Cheers,
Frank

--=20
against your ports.