Hey Brian,

Perhaps look into something like SmokePing?
(http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/) You could have one of your
management boxes run SmokePing and set one of its 'targets' to be the
inside interface of one of your client's firewalls. Then just add the
correct ACL to let you icmp/ip whatever the inside interface over the
VPN, SmokePing gives you packetloss and latency in pretty graphs (view
across http). In theory it should show packet loss when your VPN
tunnels disconnect for a reason such as their Internet connection
going down.

Cheers,

Will