I have Nagios installed on a machine, along with Cacti, but they're
wanting more granular knowledge of when it was up and when it was down
(and we need a syslog server anyway). I'm almost positive the devices
will send a specific enough message to isolate the customer.

Until I get this up and running, and probably after, I am monitoring
the peer devices... but its mostly for alerts.