Chris Blask wrote:
>An interesting proof of open source philosophy would be Enterprise-viable open source solutions large and small that would compete with commercial offerings.

I believe that open source solutions are also a factor in the consolidation
and eventual demise of security as an "industry." By offering a "free" alternative
they remove wiggle room from the small start-ups at the bottom of the
economy - if you're trying to compete with Symantec or Cisco you get
crushed between "huge" on one side and "free" on the other. "Traditional"
business customers are going to go with the mega-player because it's
the safe bet, while the technically clueful ones will mount an in-house
open source-based effort. The net effect is that "free" becomes the enemy
of "good" by preventing the small vendor from being able to offer a
high-quality low-cost solution.

firewall-wizards mailing list