Is anyone aware of any *disadvantages* of layer 2 firewalls?

Current marketing seems to be pushing layer 2 firewalls mostly, as far as I
can tell, to reduce the possibility of the device being compromised (no ip
address.) And it seems to me, that any network using a media of Ethernet
could (and should?) be doing this, unless of course, they needed the device
to perform layer 3 or 4 utility (e.g., NAT), additionally.

I readily admit that I don't possess "link layer" expertise, and thus, I
suspect that I must be missing something further, if layer 2 firewalls are
indeed a trade-off.

Andrew K. Adams
Pittsburgh GigaPoP & Network Research Group
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center Office: 306-A Mellon Institute
Carnegie Mellon University Phone: (412) 268-5142
4400 Fifth Ave. Fax: (412) 268-8200
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 WWW:

D3 FA 7D 61 FD ED BD D9 0C DE 94 DB 0F 25 D0 2E

firewall-wizards mailing list