Hi Servie

I don't have any experience with the specific firewalls mentioned, so I will
limit my discussion to general comments.

First about the .exe requirements mentioned by UPS. The techie who suggested
this probably thinks you have a personal firewall like ZoneAlarm on the
machine and not a network gateway device. Those firewalls allow access based
on which executable app is requesting the connection in addition to the
normal rulesets. Since the software works when the user took the computer
home, there is definitely no personal firewall problem.

The rest of my suggestions are general to most firewalls.

It sounds like the SOHO3 was running a generic permit all traffic from
inside to outside while the TZ170 probably has a deny-all allow specific
ruleset from inside to outside. A lot of the discussion on this list has
been about the differences and which is preferable.

Since UPS doesn't appear to be very helpful, the only way to find out what
needs to be opened up is to look at the logs to see what is being denied by
what rule when the software attempts to connect to the UPS network. Try it a
number of times to see if it uses the same destination ports or wanders up
and down a range of ports.

Hopefully someone else on the list has had experience with the application
and knows that needs to be opened, but if not, then this methodology should
assist in finding out what is needed besides the simple yet insecure method
of adding a rule to allow the laptop to connect to any port through the
firewall.

Regards

Bruce Smith