This is all great, but I hope you are mainly referring to hardware
equipments and office suites, otherwise you just put 80 % of us out of
business (both vendors and practitioners)
I somehow believe that security related software should be
update/maintained as much as possible. Mainly because anyhow this is all
reactive, thus two-steps behind the real threat.
You might be using Office 95, and do a great job with it, but I doubt
you're still using a '95 antivirus on that PC, right?

And still, your last phrase is pure truth: most of this stuff really has
no future.

//ionut