Paul D. Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Josh Welch wrote:
>

>>I have setup an access point outside of our firewall for this express
>>purpose. It is wide open and I simply monitor port usage to keep an eye
>>out for any abuse, it hasn't been an issue so far.

> Isn't this kind of SBCYF[1]?
>
> Paul
> [1] Security by crossing your fingers.
> Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
> paul@compuwar.net which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."

Maybe, but I don't see it that way.

The access point is outside of our firewall, which keeps it away from
things inside my network. I monitor port usage for odd usage patterns,
which helps prevent the misuage of the access point. I've checked around
the building for the signal, I haven't been able to pick it up from
outside the building, which is not to say it can't be done but it can't
be done easily.

Is it perfect, no. But I prefer to think of it as doing the best I can
with the resources available to me.

Josh