"Paul D. Robertson" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Josh Welch wrote:
>
> > I have setup an access point outside of our firewall for this express
> > purpose. It is wide open and I simply monitor port usage to keep an eye
> > out for any abuse, it hasn't been an issue so far.

> Isn't this kind of SBCYF[1]?

"Kind of?"

Another thing, which I haven't seen discussed: It seems probable that
the access in question would naturally be less restricted than what's
normally allowed by ones corporate firewall, yeah? (Well, unless one
has killed their firewall [1] .) E.g.: Perhaps SMTP, POP3, IMAP, Net
Meeting (*barf*), etc., unfiltered. You'll want some way to keep
employees with wireless capability from accessing your insecure
courtesy WLAN--particularly whilst they're connected to your secured
LAN (router, anybody?).

I think it should be unnecessary point point out that some employees
will inevitably try, and the multitude of dangers should they not be
prohibited from succeeding.

[1] Ref: "The Death Of A Firewall"

Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at .