From: Pollock, Joseph [mailto:PollockJ@evergreen.edu]=20
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 1:40 PM
To: Yehuda Goldenberg; firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] VOIP versus PBX

Other issues:
=A0
1.=A0=A0=A0 How does the vender plan to handle 911 location tracking?
=A0
2.=A0=A0=A0 The typical PBX has battery backup and, often, emergency =
generator support, and powers the desktop instruments.=A0 How does this =
compare to your network infrastructure?=A0 Is your current phone system =
considered an emergency communication component at your company?=A0 Is =
your network fully power protected in case of power outages?
=A0
3.=A0=A0=A0 There have been some quality reviews of VoIP gear recently =
(I don't know the methodology or quality of the reviews) that indicate =
that audio quality is more like a cell phone than a typical wired phone, =
among other characteristics, and that overall reliability is not yet up =
to traditional PBX standards.
=A0
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I'm not even going to touch on IP issues like DOS =
attacks or infected hosts overwhelming the QOS - I'd like to see a =
vender demonstrate that.
=A0
Joe Pollock
Network Services