We collapsing threads

1) misrepresentation/deception and accountability

This is what Ron's reply to my email mentioned. I think we all agree.
This is plain bad acting and it really would be refreshing to see
someone apply laws commonly enforced in the brick-and-mortar world to
the virtual world. Add it to the list of things I want to see before
I die.

2) Hiding complexity versus hiding the truth about a product

I spoke of hiding complexity in my email - putting grep/awk/sed
behind a GUI is very different from not documenting that "left set to
factory default settings, our device accepts incoming ftp connections
from guest accounts with no password enforcement."