On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

> So, if that's the advice that they got, they didn't read it or if they
> read it they didn't understand it or follow it. There's nothing a provider
> can do to help a dumb klunch who plugs something in without
> understanding it.

No, that's off the Web site, and I dug for 15m before I found that- now if
you're advocating consumers spend lots of their time reading marketing
literature to find crucial security info...

> Your original account of the incident made it sound as if the poor
> idiots were completely blindsided by the fact that they were offering
> up wireless internet access to all passerby and that it was somehow
> the provider's fault. Sounds like they had ample opportunity for their

There really isn't anything in that paragraph that says anything all that
pointed about it- especially if you don't know the buzzwords.

Additionally, "protect your computer from hackers" isn't really the same
as "have someone use your connection." Plus, it comes with a Premium
Firewall!

> neurons to fire, "WTF wireless? WTF firewall?" So, while the users
> in this case are pathetic, they deserve pity for being lame morons, not
> pity for having been duped by evil service providers.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, this proves my point. No, Guiness' is hard
> to find up here; perhaps you can bring some next time you come
> up and we can shoot more pictures of elk and afterwards drink my
> winnings around a bonfire.

You haven't won yet, inspection of what actually shows up at the user's
house is yet to come. I'm all up for another elk shoot though!

Paul