On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
> So, if that's the advice that they got, they didn't read it or if they
> read it they didn't understand it or follow it. There's nothing a provider
> can do to help a dumb klunch who plugs something in without
> understanding it.

No, that's off the Web site, and I dug for 15m before I found that- now if
you're advocating consumers spend lots of their time reading marketing
literature to find crucial security info...

> Your original account of the incident made it sound as if the poor
> idiots were completely blindsided by the fact that they were offering
> up wireless internet access to all passerby and that it was somehow
> the provider's fault. Sounds like they had ample opportunity for their

There really isn't anything in that paragraph that says anything all that
pointed about it- especially if you don't know the buzzwords.

Additionally, "protect your computer from hackers" isn't really the same
as "have someone use your connection." Plus, it comes with a Premium

> neurons to fire, "WTF wireless? WTF firewall?" So, while the users
> in this case are pathetic, they deserve pity for being lame morons, not
> pity for having been duped by evil service providers.
> Unless I'm mistaken, this proves my point. No, Guiness' is hard
> to find up here; perhaps you can bring some next time you come
> up and we can shoot more pictures of elk and afterwards drink my
> winnings around a bonfire.

You haven't won yet, inspection of what actually shows up at the user's
house is yet to come. I'm all up for another elk shoot though!

Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
paul@compuwar.net which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
firewall-wizards mailing list