On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

> Paul D. Robertson wrote:
> >I'm betting a beer that you're wrong.

> I'll see your beer and raise you 5.

I call. I've got an unopened router from the same provider sitting inside
my door at home. I hope you can find Guinness up there in the boonies

FWIW, the Web site for $provider says "get a free DSL modem and home
networking wireless router all combined into once piece of equipment" and
contains the following bullet points:

- Integrated DSL modem
- Ability to share your DSL connection with or without wires
- Built-in 802.11g wireless home networking capabilities
- Premium firewall

Looking through *all* the DSL pages on their site takes digging to
"features and benefits to find buried at the bottom of the fine print:

----

The available bandwidth is shared between users and throughput
(download/upload) speeds may vary, depending on the number of users or
type of use. Simultaneous use of high bandwidth applications (e.g.
streaming media) by multiple users may result in degradation of speed.
Actual speeds may vary. Speed and uninterrupted use of service are not
guaranteed.

Firewall protection is provided by Linksys. Remember that no security
product is infallible, so you should use care when using the Internet to
minimize the risk of hackers.

In any wireless scenario, speed and distances will vary from room to room.
Anything within the 2.4Ghz (microwave) spectrum may affect your wireless
connectivity and speed. Signal penetration through walls will depend on
the density for the walls. 802.11b is the standard for wireless
technology, with a transfer speed of up to 11Mbps/ 2.4GHz frequency. In
addition, to help protect your computer from hackers or others who may try
to intrude on your wireless connection, $Provider Online strongly recommends
that you use the WEP security function of your Linksys wireless router.
WEP setup and advanced feature instructions are available on your Linksys
User Guide CD.
-------

Good thing I scrolled down to find it! It's pretty well hidden for a
"strong" recommendation. Took me 15 minutes to find, and that's all I was
searching for.

Paul