Gentlemen (and Ladies Lurking),

I certainly do appreciate all of the good responses to this. Phishing is indeed a worry I have to address as best I can, but our organization is
a prime target for large scale type identity theft, and the type which would likely make the papers if a breach occurred. So this is my big worry
at the moment.

I completely agree that there needs to be an HR component to my plan (and it is already in place), and I agree that we (as IT practitioners)
have been taken off track in the last decade with the 'liberation' of the data from the central (and more easily securable) systems, and are
now hurling at a rapid pace into ever new and uncharted areas of connectivity.

But I feel that IT security will ultimately be held responsible (rightly or wrongly) for any identity theft which may occur(especially if it is
through unathorized access to our system), so unfortunately *I* am where 'the rubber meets the road'.

I am initially looking to eliminate any low-hanging-fruit from our system as best I can (double-checking that backup tapes are both securely
stored AND encrypted!) And given that there was recently a massive theft due to a rogue wireless AP, that is what I am using to elevate
general awareness and spur further interest from the powers that be in the organization.

I am going to have to take a multifaceted approach to this I believe, we have a very aggressive security posture here, we mistrust our
internal users just as much as external users, and have a very tight filtering system, at the wire and application level, but I am paranoid, so I
will keep going further.

If anyone has any experience with scanners (preferrably open source) which are good at ferreting out rogue APs I would be gratefull for
pointers.

Again, many thanks to all!

Jimmy

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:47 , Kevin Sheldrake sent: