Trouble porting boot loader for mcf548x (won't run OS image...) - Embedded

This is a discussion on Trouble porting boot loader for mcf548x (won't run OS image...) - Embedded ; I am attempting to port colilo (the boot loader included in the BSP provlded by Freescale for the 5484/5485 eval board) to a custom board based on the Freescale eval board. The boards are very much the same (ours didn't ...

  1. Trouble porting boot loader for mcf548x (won't run OS image...)

    I am attempting to port colilo (the boot loader included in the BSP
    provlded by Freescale for the 5484/5485 eval board) to a custom board
    based on the Freescale eval board. The boards are very much the same
    (ours didn't need things like the PCI connection or VGA) with the
    exception of the memory map. The eval board has SDRAM at the top of
    memory (0x0) and flash at the bottom whereas our board has flash at
    (0x0) and SDRAM starting at 0x3000 0000. Our flash chips have their CS
    tied together so I can only address them as one chip (dumb, don's ask
    me why...). which is a pain but shouldn't matter for what I'm doing at
    the moment.

    Anyway, I've got Colilo starting up from flash, intializing the
    flexbus and the SDRAM, the console works via RS232 and the ethernet is
    up and going along with the tftp client that allows me to download
    images into the RAM. The problem is that when I try to jump to that
    image (vmlinux.bin) nothing happens. I just get no response after
    issuing the go command. I've looked at what's going into ram after the
    download and it's not corrupted (same as when I view the file with a
    hex editor). I'm sort of stuck. The data is in ram, the address to
    jump to is being passed to the "startimage" routine. What the heck
    could be happening?

    Any ideas at all would be much appreciated!!!

  2. Re: Trouble porting boot loader for mcf548x (won't run OS image...)

    On Oct 4, 6:56 am, James Kimble wrote:
    > I am attempting to port colilo (the boot loader included in the BSP
    > provlded by Freescale for the 5484/5485 eval board) to a custom board
    > based on the Freescale eval board. The boards are very much the same
    > (ours didn't need things like the PCI connection or VGA) with the
    > exception of the memory map. The eval board has SDRAM at the top of
    > memory (0x0) and flash at the bottom whereas our board has flash at
    > (0x0) and SDRAM starting at 0x3000 0000. Our flash chips have their CS
    > tied together so I can only address them as one chip (dumb, don's ask
    > me why...). which is a pain but shouldn't matter for what I'm doing at
    > the moment.
    >
    > Anyway, I've got Colilo starting up from flash, intializing the
    > flexbus and the SDRAM, the console works via RS232 and the ethernet is
    > up and going along with the tftp client that allows me to download
    > images into the RAM. The problem is that when I try to jump to that
    > image (vmlinux.bin) nothing happens. I just get no response after
    > issuing the go command. I've looked at what's going into ram after the
    > download and it's not corrupted (same as when I view the file with a
    > hex editor). I'm sort of stuck. The data is in ram, the address to
    > jump to is being passed to the "startimage" routine. What the heck
    > could be happening?
    >
    > Any ideas at all would be much appreciated!!!

    Is there MMU persent at some point in your whole of your project ?
    Sometimes, MMU can result in remapping (Virtual Memory Mapping) and so
    that can cause problems, if the
    MMU memory manipulation is not taken into consideration.

    Karthik Balaguru

+ Reply to Thread