Device Driver - Embedded

This is a discussion on Device Driver - Embedded ; Respected sir/mam, i have tried different methods to compile the device driver program,my gcc version is gcc (GCC) 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8).is this version support to compile the device driver program in Uclinux environment ? is i need to ...

  1. Device Driver

    Respected sir/mam,

    i have tried different methods to compile the device driver program,my
    gcc version is gcc (GCC) 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8).is this
    version support to compile the device driver program in Uclinux
    environment ? is i need to update someother version?.i tried sample c
    program .it is getting compile without any errors,where as in device
    driver program is showing errors which is present already in system
    example program...........guide me in this regard.answers should be
    really appreciated.

    advance thanks

  2. Re: Device Driver

    ashu wrote:

    > i have tried different methods to compile the device driver program,my
    > gcc version is gcc (GCC) 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8).is this
    > version support to compile the device driver program in Uclinux
    > environment ?

    No. It is your host compiler. It can compile programs to run on your host
    (or any other x86 target with the same or higher architecture than your
    host is).

    For any other architecture like ARM, PowerPC and MIPS you need a *separate*
    compiler (mostly called "toolchain" = Binutils + Libc + GNU Compiler
    Collection). And if you want to compiler your target's programs on your
    host this toolchain must be a cross-toolchain (runs on a different
    architecture than it creates code for).

    uclinux sounds like an MMU less CPU (means _no_ x86). So don't try to use
    your host compiler anymore for this job.

    Juergen

  3. Re: Device Driver

    On Sep 10, 12:11 pm, Juergen Beisert wrote:
    > ashu wrote:
    > > i have tried different methods to compile the device driver program,my
    > > gcc version is gcc (GCC) 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8).is this
    > > version support to compile the device driver program in Uclinux
    > > environment ?

    > No. It is your host compiler. It can compile programs to run on your host
    > (or any other x86 target with the same or higher architecture than your
    > host is).
    >
    > For any other architecture like ARM, PowerPC and MIPS you need a *separate*
    > compiler (mostly called "toolchain" = Binutils + Libc + GNU Compiler
    > Collection). And if you want to compiler your target's programs on your
    > host this toolchain must be a cross-toolchain (runs on a different
    > architecture than it creates code for).
    >
    > uclinux sounds like an MMU less CPU (means _no_ x86). So don't try to use
    > your host compiler anymore for this job.
    >
    > Juergen

    hello sir , thanks for your reply ,i have downloaded crosstool chain
    0.22,i dont know how to install,will you pls guide me

  4. Re: Device Driver

    ashu wrote:

    > On Sep 10, 12:11 pm, Juergen Beisert wrote:
    >> ashu wrote:
    >> > i have tried different methods to compile the device driver program,my
    >> > gcc version is gcc (GCC) 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8).is this
    >> > version support to compile the device driver program in Uclinux
    >> > environment ?

    >> No. It is your host compiler. It can compile programs to run on your host
    >> (or any other x86 target with the same or higher architecture than your
    >> host is).
    >>
    >> For any other architecture like ARM, PowerPC and MIPS you need a
    >> *separate* compiler (mostly called "toolchain" = Binutils + Libc + GNU
    >> Compiler Collection). And if you want to compiler your target's programs
    >> on your host this toolchain must be a cross-toolchain (runs on a
    >> different architecture than it creates code for).
    >>
    >> uclinux sounds like an MMU less CPU (means _no_ x86). So don't try to use
    >> your host compiler anymore for this job.
    >>
    >> Juergen

    > hello sir , thanks for your reply ,i have downloaded crosstool chain
    > 0.22,i dont know how to install,will you pls guide me

    0.22? Where did get such an old one?

    You might be more successfull with a more recent toolchain. So visit Dan
    Kegels website again (http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/) and load the current
    one. And read especially:
    http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/cross...ool-howto.html
    BTW: To build it by your own might be the hardest way to get a cross
    toolchain (but you can learn a lot, how things are working).

    Maybe you will find a ready-to-be-used-binary toolchain for your
    architecture? Where did you get your hardware from? Didn't you get software
    with this piece of hardware?

    Juergen

+ Reply to Thread