Creating a Compact Flash image - Embedded

This is a discussion on Creating a Compact Flash image - Embedded ; Hi. I use a CF card to mount linus File System for an embedded system. I used the following production procedure for new CF-s: 1. Create an image: - fdisk - mount the CF and untar the parts comprising the ...

  1. Creating a Compact Flash image

    Hi.
    I use a CF card to mount linus File System for an embedded system.
    I used the following production procedure for new CF-s:
    1. Create an image:
    - fdisk
    - mount the CF and untar the parts comprising the FS there
    - sync+unmount
    - create an image using dd:

    2. Once I have an image - I just used dd for every new one:
    dd of=/dev/sdc if=cfImage.bin bs=512 count=800

    The problem:
    This worked fine for SandDisk 512 CF-s.
    It doesn't work for a bunch of new Kingston 1GB CF-s I got.
    The first part works fine, but I can't use an image created from one
    CF for another CF. If I use it for the same CF (ufter deleting it with
    dd from /dev/zero) - it works fine. But for some reason the image I
    get works only for the same CF from which it originated.

    The questions:
    - Any idea why this can happen
    - Any idea for a better production procedure (its ext2fs over Linux
    partition in case it matters).

    Thanks,
    Michael

  2. Re: Creating a Compact Flash image

    Michael,

    Mic wrote:
    > [...]
    > The problem:
    > This worked fine for SandDisk 512 CF-s.
    > It doesn't work for a bunch of new Kingston 1GB CF-s I got.
    > The first part works fine, but I can't use an image created from one
    > CF for another CF. If I use it for the same CF (ufter deleting it with
    > dd from /dev/zero) - it works fine. But for some reason the image I
    > get works only for the same CF from which it originated.
    >
    > The questions:
    > - Any idea why this can happen

    Google for CHS.

    > - Any idea for a better production procedure (its ext2fs over Linux
    > partition in case it matters).

    Different cards are using different CHS. Unfortunately a BIOS can reprogram
    this mapping at runtime. Try to use these cards with LBA only, on *all*
    systems.
    Or fake a partition table with LBA entries only.

    Juergen

+ Reply to Thread