Turning optimizations off for ELDK gcc - Embedded

This is a discussion on Turning optimizations off for ELDK gcc - Embedded ; Hello all, I am trying to compile the embedded kernel 2.6.19.2 without any optimizations, so I can debug it. I have commented out the "CFLAGS += -O2" on the main kernel Makefile. However this does not compile due to "sorry, ...

  1. Turning optimizations off for ELDK gcc

    Hello all,
    I am trying to compile the embedded kernel 2.6.19.2 without any
    optimizations, so I can debug it. I have commented out the "CFLAGS +=
    -O2" on the main kernel Makefile. However this does not compile due
    "sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to ..."
    Can I compile the kernel without any optimizations ?

    Platform: PPC MPC8349
    Tools : Denx ELDK GCC (4.1 4.0.0), GDB ...

    Thanks
    Janaka

  2. Re: Turning optimizations off for ELDK gcc

    janakas@optiscan.com wrote:
    > I am trying to compile the embedded kernel 2.6.19.2 without any
    > optimizations, so I can debug it. I have commented out the "CFLAGS +=
    > -O2" on the main kernel Makefile. However this does not compile due
    > "sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to ..."
    > Can I compile the kernel without any optimizations ?
    >
    > Platform: PPC MPC8349
    > Tools : Denx ELDK GCC (4.1 4.0.0), GDB ...

    To be able to debug you do not need to disable optimisation. Try with "-O1"

    Hope it helps
    Juergen

  3. Re: Turning optimizations off for ELDK gcc

    On Aug 27, 6:27 pm, Juergen Beisert wrote:
    > jana...@optiscan.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to compile the embedded kernel 2.6.19.2 without any
    > > optimizations, so I can debug it. I have commented out the "CFLAGS +=
    > > -O2" on the main kernel Makefile. However this does not compile due
    > > "sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to ..."
    > > Can I compile the kernel without any optimizations ?

    > > Platform: PPC MPC8349
    > > Tools : Denx ELDK GCC (4.1 4.0.0), GDB ...

    > To be able to debug you do not need to disable optimisation. Try with "-O1"
    >
    > Hope it helps
    > Juergen

    Juergen, Thanks for the reply.
    I am currently using -O1 (== -O). It jumps around a bit because of
    optimizations. Its reasonable if I step through assembler. I was
    hoping to step through C code.
    BTW I am using the BDI2000 JTAG to do this.

+ Reply to Thread