With or Without Package Management - Embedded

This is a discussion on With or Without Package Management - Embedded ; Hello all, I am wondering if I still need to bother having a package management on an embedded GNU/Linux project because it seems that most of an embedded GNU/Linux projects I've known are not using one. Actually, I found SLIND ...

  1. With or Without Package Management

    Hello all,

    I am wondering if I still need to bother having a package management
    on an embedded GNU/Linux project because it seems that most of an
    embedded GNU/Linux projects I've known are not using one. Actually, I
    found SLIND which is a Debian Etch based
    embedded GNU/Linux OS but the packages used are from Debian's.

    Please advice.

    Thank you in advance.

    GNUbie

  2. Re: With or Without Package Management

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.embedded, in article
    <1187575604.967274.46830@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>, gnubie@gmail.com wrote:

    >I am wondering if I still need to bother having a package management
    >on an embedded GNU/Linux project because it seems that most of an
    >embedded GNU/Linux projects I've known are not using one.

    That's entirely up to you. What does the package manager do for you?
    In a desktop/server type of system, the main advantage is allowing a
    person to easily keep the system up to date, but knowing what files
    are related, what dependencies exist, and so on. If you don't use a
    package manager, and intend to keep the system updated, you need to
    maintain a database or notebook or something, that lists what is
    installed (what files/directories), and what dependencies each file
    has. If you intend to maintain the system by supplying a new
    snapshot of the entire system every time you need to update anything,
    then the package management can be done on the system where you are
    developing the snapshot. If (because the system is isolated) you
    decide that software maintenance is not needed, and the system will
    simply be thrown away when no longer working correctly, then you don't
    need a package management tool anywhere.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread