partitioning a flash drive when running from it - Embedded

This is a discussion on partitioning a flash drive when running from it - Embedded ; We are trying to run our embedded software from the compact flash. I have a basic stripped version of linux (blosh), which loads up upon power up, and then loads up the our kernel and our root file system with ...

  1. partitioning a flash drive when running from it

    We are trying to run our embedded software from the compact flash.
    I have a basic stripped version of linux (blosh), which loads up upon
    power up, and then loads up the our kernel and our root file system
    with our applications

    so the blosh resides in first and second partion and actual kernel and
    rfs/apps reside in partition 3 and 4 on compact flash.

    we need to upgrade the firmware over the network. for this to work,
    blosh receives updates over the network, and repartition the original
    partitions [partition 3 and 4]. and get the kernel and rfs over the
    network and installs them onto those partition.

    but we are having difficulties in executing this. as blosh/kernel/RFS,
    everything is run from same physical deivce, It does not let us do any
    of this [repartitions, or rewriting, or mounting] as it complains that
    the device is busy.

    Is there a way around this.

  2. Re: partitioning a flash drive when running from it

    herhighness wrote:

    > We are trying to run our embedded software from the compact flash.
    > I have a basic stripped version of linux (blosh), which loads up upon
    > power up, and then loads up the our kernel and our root file system
    > with our applications
    >
    > so the blosh resides in first and second partion and actual kernel and
    > rfs/apps reside in partition 3 and 4 on compact flash.
    >
    > we need to upgrade the firmware over the network. for this to work,
    > blosh receives updates over the network, and repartition the original
    > partitions [partition 3 and 4]. and get the kernel and rfs over the
    > network and installs them onto those partition.
    >
    > but we are having difficulties in executing this. as blosh/kernel/RFS,
    > everything is run from same physical deivce, It does not let us do any
    > of this [repartitions, or rewriting, or mounting] as it complains that
    > the device is busy.
    >
    > Is there a way around this.

    I think the following should work, but someone else should confirm, as im
    not sure it's possible to do the chroot and unmount thing. Anyway, create a
    ramdisk, copy the needed tools and libraries to it, chroot, unmount the
    flash device. and do the upgrade.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.