close range sensor - Embedded

This is a discussion on close range sensor - Embedded ; I am looking for some position/speed sensor detector device. It only needs to work within 40 cm range. In term of position detection, I do not need super accuracy. Any advices will be appreciated....

  1. close range sensor

    I am looking for some position/speed sensor detector device. It only
    needs to work within 40 cm range. In term of position detection, I do
    not need super accuracy. Any advices will be appreciated.

  2. Re: close range sensor

    ask wrote:
    > I am looking for some position/speed sensor detector device. It only
    > needs to work within 40 cm range. In term of position detection, I do
    > not need super accuracy. Any advices will be appreciated.

    please don't multi-post. If you don't know what that means, look it up.
    *IF* this question belongs on more than one newsgroup, then you should
    cross post it.

    Bob

  3. Re: close range sensor

    In article <1186766800.851033.31790@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>,
    ask8y@yahoo.com says...
    > I am looking for some position/speed sensor detector device. It only
    > needs to work within 40 cm range. In term of position detection, I do
    > not need super accuracy. Any advices will be appreciated.

    You didn't mention what type of measurement You prefer: contactless or
    contact sensor.
    For contact sensors you have variety of mechanical "potentiometer like"
    measurements, or optoelectrical(less noisy cause it gives digital
    output).
    For contactless the only which I know of to be reliable is laser.But for
    such short distance it's very expensive.
    Ultra sound however is also one choise, but it depends on measuring
    environemnt because sound wave is "catches up" all around.

    I'm pretty interested how would it work with accelerometer.
    This is a cheapest solution.

    robert

  4. Re: close range sensor

    > For contactless the only which I know of to be reliable is laser.But for
    > such short distance it's very expensive.

    Problem with laser is how to aim to the target you want trace, you
    have to position the target first.

    > Ultra sound however is also one choise, but it depends on measuring
    > environemnt because sound wave is "catches up" all around.
    >
    > I'm pretty interested how would it work with accelerometer.
    > This is a cheapest solution.

    I'll google them.

    > robert

  5. Re: close range sensor

    I did not state that clearly enough.

    I think I need some remote sensing device. The host can sense the
    target in term of position/speed. The range between the host and the
    sensed target is less than half meter. The resulution should be in
    term of centimeter. Is that possible? A normal video camera can do the
    job, too much information has to exclueded to trace my target. I just
    think there should be some cheaper alternative.

  6. Re: close range sensor

    Keep Asking wrote:
    > I did not state that clearly enough.
    >
    > I think I need some remote sensing device. The host can sense the
    > target in term of position/speed. The range between the host and the
    > sensed target is less than half meter. The resulution should be in
    > term of centimeter. Is that possible? A normal video camera can do the
    > job, too much information has to exclueded to trace my target. I just
    > think there should be some cheaper alternative.

    Duct tape a mouse to the target? ;-)

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread