How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux - Embedded ; Hi All, I like to develope an GUI application on embedded linux. Any one help me how do i go about this? Is there any books/tutorial on this? Regards, Josi...

  1. How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

    Hi All,
    I like to develope an GUI application on embedded linux. Any one
    help me how do i go about this? Is there any books/tutorial on this?

    Regards,
    Josi

  2. Re: How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

    ksmahaps@gmail.com wrote:
    > I like to develope an GUI application on embedded linux. Any one
    > help me how do i go about this? Is there any books/tutorial on this?

    There meaning of "GUI app on embedded Linux" has different
    meanings to different people. You might want to clarify
    this a little. That said, .....

    One common GUI for embedded Linux is using a framebuffer
    and not X windows. This kind of GUI is often found on
    low resolution appliances like VCRs or other set-top boxes.
    Our book, Linux Appliance Design, has a chapter on how to
    build this kind of GUI.

    The other type of GUI is for higher resolution (or more
    memory) devices such as cell phones or PDAs. These often
    use X, GTK, and a full X development environment. Take a
    look at open-moko or Maemo for examples for a tutorial on
    this kind of GUI.

    Bob Smith

  3. Re: How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

    Take a look at QT or Quotopia from TrollTech.

  4. Re: How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

    On Aug 9, 9:58 pm, ksmah...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I like to develope an GUI application on embedded linux. Any one
    > help me how do i go about this? Is there any books/tutorial on this?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Josi

    Yes, it depends on your specific requirement. For instance, are you
    working on a standalone device with LCD? or you are doing STB to which
    a TV is connected? Do you only want a simple GUI or sophisticated
    windowing environment? Do you need a embedded browser with it?

    IMO, there are several candidates for embedded GUI development:
    1 -> QT. QT is dual licensed though its source code is available. The
    GUI implementation is said to be the best but code size/image size is
    not small on the other hand.
    2 -> Microwindow/Nano-X; Much smaller than QT, easier for porting, and
    open sourced;
    3 -> MiniGUI, the latest version is not open sourced;
    4 -> GTK/DirectFB;
    5 -> DirectFB, it could supports hardware acceleration.

    An excellent reference is available online from LinuxDevices.com at
    http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9202043619.html.

    Enjoy!

    Marco Wang

+ Reply to Thread