cell phones - Embedded

This is a discussion on cell phones - Embedded ; Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a cell phone? I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to figure out an approach - DTMF, or something ...

  1. cell phones

    Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a cell
    phone?

    I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something else?

    Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    Thanks,

    --Yan

  2. Re: cell phones

    CptDondo writes:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a
    > cell phone?
    >
    > I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    > figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something
    > else?
    >
    > Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    > so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    I'm not sure why you'd want to establish such a complex system yourself
    when folks like AT&T, Cingular, SunCom, etc., have already done that for
    you.
    --
    % Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and kiss her interface,

  3. Re: cell phones

    Randy Yates wrote:
    > CptDondo writes:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a
    >> cell phone?
    >>
    >> I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    >> figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something
    >> else?
    >>
    >> Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    >> so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    > I'm not sure why you'd want to establish such a complex system yourself
    > when folks like AT&T, Cingular, SunCom, etc., have already done that for
    > you.

    Customer demands... Basically, the machines I'm trying to connect to
    have no way to connect to connect to the web other than via a cell
    phone. But the connection need only be a few minutes a day, so a
    full-time subscription with unlimited internet is not cost effective.

    So I'm looking for a way to enable a customer to dial in to his/her
    machine, check it out, and then hang up.

    DTMF would be ideal, but I can't figure out how to enable DTMF for a
    cell modem - I suspect it's a lost cause.

  4. Re: cell phones

    CptDondo writes:

    > Randy Yates wrote:
    >> CptDondo writes:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a
    >>> cell phone?
    >>>
    >>> I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    >>> figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something
    >>> else?
    >>>
    >>> Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    >>> so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    >> I'm not sure why you'd want to establish such a complex system
    >> yourself
    >> when folks like AT&T, Cingular, SunCom, etc., have already done that for
    >> you.

    > Customer demands... Basically, the machines I'm trying to connect to
    > have no way to connect to connect to the web other than via a cell
    > phone.

    I'm confused - what is the physical interface? How do you connect a
    computer to the web with a cell phone? The closest I can come to
    making sense of your statement is that you have a modem on the
    computer and can establish a connection to the ISP through the
    standard POTS interface, but this has nothing to do directly with a
    cell phone.
    --
    % Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,

  5. Re: cell phones

    On 08/06/2007 09:52 PM, CptDondo wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a cell
    > phone?

    Yes.

    > I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    > figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something else?

    Yes, impossibly the following might be what your looking for:

    mgetty - Smart Modem getty replacement
    mgetty-pvftools - Programs for listening and manipulating pvf and rmd files
    mgetty-voice - Voicemail handler for mgetty

    > Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    > so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    Hey, seems to me, you're only a 10bit person. Have you ever did any
    homework yourself?

    Anu'z Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  6. Re: cell phones

    Randy Yates wrote:

    > I'm confused - what is the physical interface? How do you connect a
    > computer to the web with a cell phone?

    GPRS

  7. Re: cell phones

    CptDondo writes:

    > Randy Yates wrote:
    >
    >> I'm confused - what is the physical interface? How do you connect a
    >> computer to the web with a cell phone?

    > GPRS

    Are you talking about a device like this:

    http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GSM_...DPA_Modem.html

    and if so, are you asking if it is possible to initiate a connection to the network
    from a remote location?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % she does the things you do,
    %%%% % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
    http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr

  8. Re: cell phones

    On 2007-08-06, CptDondo wrote:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a cell
    > phone?

    I used to set up remote systems like that with a Motorola AMPS
    bag-phone and a modem interface module. The interface module
    provided an RJ-11 jack into which you could plug an analog
    modem. It simulated dial-tone for outbound calls and a
    ring-signal for inbound calls. It rarely acheived baud rates
    abouve 1200 baud, but it worked (if there was AMPS coverage).

    > I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm
    > trying to figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like
    > ppp, or something else?
    >
    > Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'?
    > And if so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    With modern, digitial phones, dialing out is generally easy --
    I'm not sure you can dial in at all.

    The last time I checked, most all Verizon phones will work as
    14K baud modems that can be used to connect to either Verizon
    as an ISP or any other dial-in modem (e.g. a normal dialup
    ISP). You don't have to pay for a data service, it just uses
    minutes like a normal call (which for many plans is "free"
    nights and weekends). In addition to a relatively low 14K baud
    rate, the latency was pretty high (200ms or so), so interactive
    stuff like ssh was painful.

    NB: IIRC, the 14.4K baud "normal minutes" data access is
    unofficial and could go a way at any time without notice.
    It's been a couple months since I used it, but it was
    working fine last time I tried.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! This is a NO-FRILLS
    at flight -- hold th' CANADIAN

  9. Re: cell phones

    normally cell phone companies do not allow you to make cell phone calls
    using your cell as a modem, except to their own dialup, for which they
    charge an extra monthly fee.

    I have a cell phone that I use as a modem with a linux laptop, using
    GPRS, it works quite well usually, even when driving on interstate
    highways amidst corn fields. It does not work 100% of time, however.
    And it does not work very well (sometimes signal goes away in bad
    spots), but it does work.

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:22:41 -0700, CptDondo wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a cell
    > phone?
    >
    > I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    > figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something else?
    >
    > Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    > so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?
    >
    > Thanks,

  10. Re: cell phones

    On 2007-08-07, Ignoramus4185 wrote:

    > normally cell phone companies do not allow you to make cell
    > phone calls using your cell as a modem, except to their own
    > dialup,

    Verizon does you can dial up any modem you want.

    > for which they charge an extra monthly fee.

    Verizon doesn't for 14.4K baud. For high-speed data
    connections you pay extra (and have to use Verizon as the ISP).

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. hubub, hubub,
    at HUBUB, hubub, hubub, hubub,

  11. Re: cell phones

    CptDondo writes:

    >Randy Yates wrote:
    >> CptDondo writes:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a
    >>> cell phone?
    >>>
    >>> I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    >>> figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something
    >>> else?
    >>>
    >>> Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    >>> so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    >> I'm not sure why you'd want to establish such a complex system yourself
    >> when folks like AT&T, Cingular, SunCom, etc., have already done that for
    >> you.

    >Customer demands... Basically, the machines I'm trying to connect to
    >have no way to connect to connect to the web other than via a cell
    >phone. But the connection need only be a few minutes a day, so a
    >full-time subscription with unlimited internet is not cost effective.

    >So I'm looking for a way to enable a customer to dial in to his/her
    >machine, check it out, and then hang up.

    ??? Is the machine on a cell phone or are you wanting to phone it via cell
    phone?

    >DTMF would be ideal, but I can't figure out how to enable DTMF for a
    >cell modem - I suspect it's a lost cause.

  12. Re: cell phones

    On 2007-08-07, Unruh wrote:

    >>Customer demands... Basically, the machines I'm trying to
    >>connect to have no way to connect to connect to the web other
    >>than via a cell phone. But the connection need only be a few
    >>minutes a day, so a full-time subscription with unlimited
    >>internet is not cost effective.

    >>So I'm looking for a way to enable a customer to dial in to
    >>his/her machine, check it out, and then hang up.

    > ??? Is the machine on a cell phone or are you wanting to phone it via cell
    > phone?

    The former.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! O.K.! Speak with a
    at PHILADELPHIA ACCENT!! Send

  13. Re: cell phones

    In <13bflqrtaiu6u04@corp.supernews.com> Grant Edwards:

    [Snip...]

    >> for which they charge an extra monthly fee.

    > Verizon doesn't for 14.4K baud.

    Wow, thanks, Verizon. Got any Morse code bands available instead?

    > For high-speed data connections you pay extra (and have to use Verizon
    > as the ISP).

    Caveat emptor; it's a wornout business model that contracts for lockin, and
    gouges consumers for using more efficient transmission, such as texting:

    Verizon and other cellphone companies mark up the cost of text
    messages by at least 7314% when compared to their rates for data
    transfer services.

    as claimed in (watch line wrap):

    http://consumerist.com/consumer/cell...ages-marked-up
    -7314-247518.php

    However, just like MaBell in the 80's, might be handwriting's on the wall:

    Companies hoping to loosen the hold of
    entrenched players can point to such rules as the provision that
    earmarks certain airwaves where carriers would be barred from placing
    restrictions on what devices and services can be used on their
    networks. "The FCC has embraced important principles of openness,"
    Richard Whitt, Google's Washington (D.C.) telecom and media counsel,
    wrote in a blog.

    from:

    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...731_593553.htm

    Yo, Verizon: Can You Hear Me Now?

    JMO; YMMV...

  14. Re: cell phones

    What do you mean by "GPRS-Server" ?

    GPRS is just another means to connect a device to the Internet. The GPRS
    modems I know have a serial interface towards the device and need to be
    accessed by PPP protocol. That should be no problem with Linux.

    OTOH the usual GPRS-Internet provider assigns a random IP-address to any
    newly established GPRS connection and does not guarantee that this
    address will persist for whatever amount of time.

    So, unless you can make the GPRS-Internet provider give your modem a
    static IP-Addressed (technically that should be possible), IMHO the only
    way to really be a server is by using a dynDNS (at some third party site
    or provided by you/your client at some place with a static IP address).

    We do this in a different way. Even though the application we do
    seemingly requests for a server at the GPRS site, we in fact have the
    servers at non moving DSL sites with static IP addresses. The GPRS sites
    regularly sending (UDP) packets there to have the server sites know
    their current IP addresses and the (homebrew) applications at either
    site now use that address to communicate with UDP packets and IP sockets.

    -Michael

  15. Re: cell phones

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:22:41 -0700, CptDondo wrote:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to dial in to a linux box with a cell
    > phone?
    >
    > I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    > figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something else?
    >
    > Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    > so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Yan

    I do it all the time with my Treo700p using ssh. There are two Palm ssh
    clients, tussh and pssh. I prefer pssh because it has a way to issue a
    CTRL and ESC characters which you need for Emacs.

  16. Re: cell phones

    CptDondo wrote:

    > Can I set up a linux box with a cell modem as a GPRS 'server'? And if
    > so, how do I get the cell phone to connect to i?

    Should work exactly as with any external Modem Device. You will have to
    decide if you need TCP/IP and ppp or if a terminal loking is sufficient.

    Anyway have a look at mgetty and autoppp.

    Sven

    --
    "Every time you use Google, you're using a Linux machine"
    (Chris DiBona, a programs manager for Google)

    /me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

  17. Re: cell phones

    > DTMF would be ideal, but I can't figure out how to enable DTMF for a
    > cell modem - I suspect it's a lost cause.

    I assume you are talking about a GSM cell phone... And if you think you
    can send the data as DTMF, then I think SMS would be the best choice.

  18. Re: cell phones

    CptDondo wrote:
    > I need to control some equipment with a cell phone, and I'm trying to
    > figure out an approach - DTMF, or something like ppp, or something else?

    This article might give you some ideas on how to control
    a Linux system with DTMF tones.

    http://www.linuxtoys.org/answer/answering_machine.html

    hope this helps
    Bob Smith

  19. Re: cell phones

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:51:57 -0400, Randy Yates
    wrote:

    >CptDondo writes:
    >
    >> Randy Yates wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm confused - what is the physical interface? How do you connect a
    >>> computer to the web with a cell phone?

    >> GPRS

    >Are you talking about a device like this:
    >
    > http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GSM_...DPA_Modem.html
    >
    >and if so, are you asking if it is possible to initiate a connection to the network
    >from a remote location?

    I am running a network for monitoring assets on the UK railway, which
    currently has around 50 GPRS sites.

    If you want to contact your remote site (rather than just having it
    send data to a server somewhere on the Internet) then it is best to
    use a fixed IP address VPN. (This is something that your ISP can
    arrange.) We have a few sites not using fixed IP and this makes
    maintenance considerably more inconvenient.

    An alternative is to set up your own VPN over the mobile network. (We
    are using two Linksys WRV200 routers on a trial site - one at each
    end.) There is even a Linksys router that includes a SIM card slot for
    the purpose, but I have not tried this.

    If you want a more robust solution, perhaps because the system is in a
    harsh environment and subject to extremes of temperature and humidity,
    then the Siemens MC35i terminal adaptor seems to be a reliable option.
    This connects via an RS-232C serial port and uses PPP.

    --
    Chris Isbell
    Southampton, UK

+ Reply to Thread