Filesystem for SD cards? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Filesystem for SD cards? - Embedded ; Dear all, Which file system is best for SDCard? For me recovery after hard shutdown/reboot is most important. Thats why currently I am using Ext3. Which other filesystem on linux can provide such reliability and also count on wear levelling ...

  1. Filesystem for SD cards?

    Dear all,

    Which file system is best for SDCard? For me recovery after hard
    shutdown/reboot is most important. Thats why currently I am using Ext3.
    Which other filesystem on linux can provide such reliability and also
    count on wear levelling through fewer writes on the card? I think Ext3
    writes journalling information quite frequently.

    Regards
    --Himanshu

  2. Re: Filesystem for SD cards?

    > Which file system is best for SDCard? For me recovery after hard
    > shutdown/reboot is most important.

    It has been discussed several times in this forum:

    With CF/SD-cards recovery from power fail can't be improved by choosing
    any file system.

    The card itself does some housekeeping at unforeseeable times for an
    unforeseeable duration after a write request. If power is lost during
    that period, not only /some/ data is lost, but the card can get
    unaccessible for good and can only be recovered by a low level
    formatting that often can be done only by the manufacturer.

    There is not even _any_ documentation about the power fail behavior of
    such cards is available from the manufacturers. They are simply not
    meant for being used in critical applications.

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread